TYM T451 & Shaver sc25 stumpgrinder hydraulics

/ TYM T451 & Shaver sc25 stumpgrinder hydraulics #1  

carmedic310

Silver Member
Tractor
TYM T451,bolens G214.John Deere 440CID,Shaver sc25 stunpbuster,woods750 backhoe,wallenstien splitter,woods bb60 mower,woods 60"tiller,countryline tiller,99 international 4700 car carrier
I have a TYM451 tractor 45hp when using stumpgrinder the remotes on my tractor for the swing side to side piston are very fast and hard to hold the handle to go slow.Can I just put a pair of adjustable flow valves on my hoses between my remotes and the cylinder?Dealer tells me the knob under tractor seat should slow hydraulics for remotes and 3pt hitch speed also but I tried that and it won't work for the remotes

/ TYM T451 & Shaver sc25 stumpgrinder hydraulics #2  
That knob under the seat is for the descend/lowering rate for the 3pt.

Yes, you can install flow control valves on the remotes hoses to the stump grinder. You only need one valve. If the fluid going in is 4 GPM, then the fluid going out is about 4 GPM. The rod side swing will be faster due to less space for the same GPM in same amount of time.

This needle valve will provide flow control in both directions. It has a 8 GPM flow rate. Go as slow as you want. Your engine rpm will also have an effect on GPM's.

Surplus Center - 3/8 NPT 8 GPM PRINCE WNV-600 NEEDLE VALVE

This needle valve will control flow in one direction and free flow in the other direction.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-7960-6&catname=hydraulic

You could have half speed going right and full speed going left.

Try not to talk to dealer. Talk to the hyd mechanic.

Last edited:
   / TYM T451 & Shaver sc25 stumpgrinder hydraulics
Well finally got my flow valves in and hooked up.Used the grinder twice. with flow valves installed>WOW what a difference works like a charm.Now Im in control not my hydraulic flow LOL

Big Thanks to J_J

/ TYM T451 & Shaver sc25 stumpgrinder hydraulics #5  
I have the same stump grinder (SC-25) and notice the same thing -- moving the cutting wheel back before each cut goes too fast (it lurches). When I am cutting it goes one direction nice and steady. I'm going to purchase one of these too. Did it require any other connectors? I have 1/4 inch hoses on my stump grinder.

Had to get a few adapters and some good pipe dope but I made mine so I could take them off with quick disconnects so the don't have to stay out in the weather.They work awesome and it's a lot more friendlier on the teeth no more chipping or breaking.I put new teeth on mine when I put the valves on have ground 3 nice sized stumps since and my teeth are still like new.takes a few to get the flow regulated correctly but what a difference.You want the machine to move very slow this works the best.A little more time grinding saves a lot of money on parts

/ TYM T451 & Shaver sc25 stumpgrinder hydraulics #7  
Did you get 1/4 inch or 3/8 inch size flow control valve? Thanks

I got the 3/8 but either would work

/ TYM T451 & Shaver sc25 stumpgrinder hydraulics #9  
I received the new flow control valve and, i too, needed an adapter -- the valve has two threaded female connections. My farm store didn't have any male-male connectors so I purchased a short 24" hose with male ends. Before I attach the valve with hose, I thought I'd ask if I need to do anything else? Will the small amount of air in the new hose be problematic?

No the air will work its way out with no problems.I started by closing the valve and opening it up just a small amount.Grinder worked the best when it moves at a crawl.keep in mind if you only got one valve you can only control one direction of the swing.I put one on both hoses of mine and grind in both directions.I also put my control valves rite off my remote disconnects so I can adjust them out of the back window of my tractor