Johnson front end loader problem

/ Johnson front end loader problem #1  

Beaverplt

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L225
Hi All, Newbie to the website. I've owned a Kubota L225 for years and love it. It has a Johnson Workhorse front end loader that I'm having problems with. The FEL recently became "stuck". I can not raise or lower it, nor can I tilt the bucket. I've searched in vain for a manual on the loader, but have come up with nothing. I can't even find a model number on the front end loader itself as the label appears to be worn off. I suspect the valve where the control levers are is the issue, but I've never done any repairs on hydraulics. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

/ Johnson front end loader problem #2  
Check your QD's, disconnect and reconnect.

Do you have pump flow?

Is the 3pt working normally?

If your spools are moving you are supplying fluid to the unit.

Put a pressure gage in the system and take some readings and report back..

/ Johnson front end loader problem
Hi J.J. Boy do I feel stupid. When checking your questions I found that the lever for the 3 pt was jammed in the up travel position. Probably happened when I was moving some rocks in my woods. When the problem started I spent all my time looking at the FEL and never even thought about the 3pt. Everything works fine now that I've cleared that out. As a Hydraulics neophyte I have a couple of questions about terms. I'm assuming QD's are quick disconnects. My loader doesn't have them, and, as I never remove the loader, I've never installed them. I'm not sure what you mean by spools? Thanks

Last edited:
   / Johnson front end loader problem
While I'm on this subject. Can anyone tell me which model Johnson Workhorse FEL I might have? It's mounted on a Kubota L225 2WD.

/ Johnson front end loader problem #5  
Spools are the sliding components in the valve that shift location and let fluid flow to where you want it to go.

If your spools are not working that would explain the no response using the FEL. When you push or pull the levers, you should be able to see the spools move in or out.

If you don't have any QD's in the FEL circuit, then you should have flow when the spools move unless you have a mechanical lockup..

First thing, is to check pressure,

If 3pt is working, then you can assume the pump is working.

The FEL is usually first inline in the hyd series flow.

If the return hose was somehow blocked, the FEL would be locked up.

Install the 3000 psi gage in a tee at the IN port of the FEL valve.

If you have about 2500 psi with the 3pt raised until the relief comes on, the flow is passing through the FEL valve.