A need a hydraulic genius

/ A need a hydraulic genius #1  

huskerhayman

Bronze Member
Tractor
IH 684
His is going to be long so bear with me. I have a Case IH 885 w/cab that I bought. It was a county mowing tractor and has one factory remote. That decided they need 4 remotes and put a three spool valve in the cab (dumb in my opinion). I have a hydro swing windrower that I am trying to run that needs two remotes. When I hooked up the windrower and tried to swing it the pressure relief valve would bypass on the added valve. It was non adjustable and set at 1750psi. That was first cutting of hay and I said screw it and just used my old tractor. Now I just picked up some more acres and it is hot as **** out and I want to cut in ac. So I have an old loader valve that I put in place of the three spool. Now when I try to swing it will only swing one way. If I switch the hoses it will only swing the other way. It does this on both spools. If I hook it up to the factory vale it works fine but someone must have decided that they didn't want that valve and they cut the handle off under the cab (again dumb in my opinion). I have to crawl under the tractor to get it to work. I am stumped and I prob will just fab up a handle real quick so I can cut. I would like to figure it out what is wrong but I already have two factory valves that I am going to add this fall when I have more time to build the controls for them because I cannot find them anywhere. Sorry for the extremely long post but any help is appreciated. Thanks.

/ A need a hydraulic genius #2  
Do you have a picture of this loader valve as it sits? And/or a make/model?

I have some ideas, but I dont want to mislead you.

Thanks

Aaron Z

/ A need a hydraulic genius #3  
Could it be a problem with the couplers - I'm assuming there are couplers between the valve and the cyl?

Maybe not fully coupled or an incompatibility problem where the poppets aren't fully depressed.

Perhaps try bypassing the couplers - let us know how you go.

/ A need a hydraulic genius
Here is a picture of the loader valve in the cab and the outlets at the back. The loader valve is plumbed before the factory valve.

Attachments

• image-3609432320.jpg
    image-3609432320.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 241
  • image-2017008501.jpg
    image-2017008501.jpg
    516.2 KB · Views: 297
   / A need a hydraulic genius #5  
Have you checked to see if you have the hoses plugged into the same spool.

With all those QD in the back, you could have mistakenly plugged one cyl hose in spool 1, and then plugged the other cyl hose into spool 2. When you try to use the hyd, the relief comes on, and nothing works.

Did this start after you made some changes?

Work port A of the spool should go to the base end of the cyl, and work port B should go to the rod end of the SAME cyl.

All valves should be in series and the first valve upstream will have priority and if using that valve there might not be any fluid left for the rest of the hyd system.

/ A need a hydraulic genius #6  
Valve.jpg
Just to confirm, you are connecting to the lines which lead to A and B, or C and D (as seen in the picture above) not any other combination?

Aaron Z

/ A need a hydraulic genius #7  
   / A need a hydraulic genius #8  
Aaron Z,
You might check the labeling for the work ports.
If the valve work ports is labeled A,B,C,D, then the A and C ports are located close to the handle , and B and D are located close to the bottom.
http://www.surpluscenter.com/Instruct/I9-7862-F.pdf
http://www.surpluscenter.com/Drawing/DR9-7862-F.pdf
Some valve us A1, and B1, and A2, and B2
I was putting an arbitrary label on the ports to distinguish them, not trying to find the manufacturer's markings. Looking at http://www.surpluscenter.com/Instruct/I9-7862-F.pdf the ports are in line with the handle (ie: my arbitrary labels of A/B or C/D for work port pairs match with the cylinder connections shown).

Aaron Z

/ A need a hydraulic genius #9  
I'm not a hydraulics genius, but when I do try to sort this stuff, I pay a great deal of attention to hydraulic relief noises, and hydraulic hose "dancing." Hoses dance when pressure hits them. Were I you, what with the different tractor and all, and the different coupler possibilities, I'd change all couplers to YOUR standard coupler for your farm, and I would have one coupler set with a gauge attached.

A person like you will see enough issues with acreage and multiple tractors to where you could instead of hooking a gauge to a quick coupler half, get a tee and YOUR standard quick coupler set, and hook a female QC to one side, a male QC to the other, and the gauge to the third port in the middle. That would allow you to check all quick couplers, all pressure lines and all return lines, and help you discover odd problems.

/ A need a hydraulic genius
J_J said:
Have you checked to see if you have the hoses plugged into the same spool.

With all those QD in the back, you could have mistakenly plugged one cyl hose in spool 1, and then plugged the other cyl hose into spool 2. When you try to use the hyd, the relief comes on, and nothing works.[/QUOTE

I had them plugged in wrong the first time I tried. I got a nice fluid bath from one of the hoses that wasn't hooked up.

[QUOTE="J_J]Did this start after you made some changes?[/QUOTE

I couldn't get it to swing either way when I had the three spool in there. I could hear it bypassing at the valve both with the three spool and with the OEM valve.

[QUOTE="J_J]Work port A of the spool should go to the base end of the cyl, and work port B should go to the rod end of the SAME cyl.

All valves should be in series and the first valve upstream will have priority and if using that valve there might not be any fluid left for the rest of the hyd system.