?? Converting PTO attachments to hydraulic

/ ?? Converting PTO attachments to hydraulic #1  

RaytheOne

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 323D
I'm thinking about converting a couple of PTO driven attachments to hydraulic drive, if possible. I need all the help I can get, since I've never done anything like this.

I have a Jinma chipper, and a Wallenstein log winch I'd like to convert.
First question is: The hydraulic system on the machine uses engine oil, not hydraulic fluid, is that an issue with hyd motors?
If not, how do I go about sizing the motor, since I have no info on what the implements require. I'm presently using them on my JD 110TLB. I'd like to use them on a CTL that specs hydraulic flow at 19GPM @3450 psi.

Thanks in advance,

/ ?? Converting PTO attachments to hydraulic #2  
Out of interest - why do you want to change from good old mechanical pto drive to leaky hydraulic? I have had more problems with seals in hydraulic motors and spool blocks than I've ever had with PTO equipment...

/ ?? Converting PTO attachments to hydraulic
Localmotion,

Simple answer is, I may get rid of the tractor, and the CTL is what I would have to work with. No argument about the simplicity of the PTO, but I may not have it available.

Thanks,

/ ?? Converting PTO attachments to hydraulic #4  
Large rotary hyd. attachments usually require a pretty high flow and lots of cooling capacity in the hyd system. This may limit what you are able to convert, depending on your tractor's hyd specs. There usually not intended for much more than running a few aux cyl's. I think that your winch may be a good candidate as it is not usually not in continous use, now the chipper may get you into that higher flow. Check out the Surplus Center for motors and compare with your tractors hyd output.

/ ?? Converting PTO attachments to hydraulic #6  
If you have several implements to convert, consider this: Skid Steer LF 3-Point Adaptors

Preserves the flexibility for future PTO use too. I got one to use my flail mower as a tree trimmer and for trail maintenance.

/ ?? Converting PTO attachments to hydraulic
Todd727,

I hadn't seen that before, Thanks!!

Looks similar to what I had in mind, but probably works better. :laughing: I was going to weld my Quick-Hitch onto a SSQA plate, and figure out how to come up with a motor mounting set up.

/ ?? Converting PTO attachments to hydraulic #8  
The only problem with engine oil in hydraulic motors is engine oil is expensive. If you look at Caterpillar's fluid guide, covers everything from their smallest mini-excavator to the largest haul trucks and mining shovels, you will find DEO as a recommended oil for hydraulic systems, especially high ambient temperatures. Some will say that detergents in engine oil will foam and cause problems. 60 years ago that might have been true.

Your CTL provides 38 HP at the numbers you provided.

/ ?? Converting PTO attachments to hydraulic #9  
If you decide to build you own, the one in the link has some good features. The ability to move the motor allows you to keep the PTO shaft straight for different implements, which helps prevent losing any power in the u-joints. Give them a call and they can also explain the pump sizing.

/ ?? Converting PTO attachments to hydraulic #10  
Todd727,

I hadn't seen that before, Thanks!!

Looks similar to what I had in mind, but probably works better. :laughing: I was going to weld my Quick-Hitch onto a SSQA plate, and figure out how to come up with a motor mounting set up.

for building your own setup-

surplus center has these (4 to choose sizes gpm) hydraulic motors with
1 3/8 6T spline pto motors

Surplus Center

tell us what you do/ put together.
good luck