Hydraulic Issues on my Montana 5264

/ Hydraulic Issues on my Montana 5264 #1  

Dave5264

Gold Member
Tractor
08 Montana C5264, 2011 McCormick CX100 XS
I have a 2008 Montana C5264, its 1960's technology and build by UTB of Romania, Same as the old Universal tractors.

Issues:

Jerky Bucket/Loader when raising the bucket -- especially when hot
Steering hits stiff spots
Steering locked up once to the point I had to use all my strength to get it to budge, it then freed up and worked fine.
rattling coming from the Hydr pump area (dealer thinks its likely the coupler vs the pump cavetating)
Front wheels move left and right, while the steering wheel stays straight (cant feel anything in the steering wheel), can see the steering hydr cylinder ram moving in and out.

Suspect the following possible issues:

Air in the system -- getting in where?
Hydr Pump Cavetating due to the in-line Hyraulic filter (paper type filter vs the screen type these things used to come with years ago)
Hydr Pump failing

Whats been done so far:

Changed Filter on the Hydraulic system
Pulled the priority valve and cleaned some burr's off it and the seat it slides in.
checked for Hydr leaks - none visible
checked Hydr fluid level - ok

I had these issues on an off since new.

Dealer was unable to solve

Its now getting worse and i'm looking for ideas

thanks in advance

/ Hydraulic Issues on my Montana 5264 #2  
Well, if it was my tractor and have done what your list says already, and not knowing what the dealer did or did not do to fix the prob, I would pull the hyd. pump off and check the pump coupling if there is one. The couplers I have seen go bad sound rattly/grinding or just bust. But to me, it sounds like that has nothing to do with your functional problems........

Sometimes hyd. pumps start rattling, knocking or a fast ticking like a stick in a fan noises before things quit working or pump implodes or explodes.

Some pumps just wear and go quietly till things get very slow and weak, requiring high RPM's to get sort of acceptable action, especially after getting warm.

SO... being you said you changed the filter an nothing really changed leads me to think its not the filter causing the issue. What concerns me is what/how put the burr's in the priority valve? Pieces of pump gear or pump bearing?? or metal from something entirly different....:shocked:

I would lean more towards the pump being the problem with your descriptions of ailments. With out any specs on tractor, adapters, hoses, gauges it would be my first guess..... just from my past experiences with tractor and other hyd. equipment pumps.

If it is the pump, I hope you can even find a Montana dealer to get one.... dealers vanished as quick as they sprang up around here, along with parts and service. A good hydraulic pump shop might be able to rebuild yours or source one for ya...... hopefully. Could try salvage yards for a pump also.

If you do find its the pump, be sure to drain all the hyd. fluid, and refill with fresh oil and replace the filter also. Then after 50 hours if on a new pump, change filter again. Thats what a Deere dealer told me to do on most hyd. pumps unless otherwise instructed. If ya go used pump, its entirely up to you.

/ Hydraulic Issues on my Montana 5264 #3  
Check for suction leaks in the input hose to the pump. Tighten clamps. You might not see any leaks in the input hose.

Air in the system will or may cause cavitation, and this is not good for the pump.

A good indication of air leaks is by looking in the tank for air bubbles. The cyl's will not function correctly.

Install a hyd pressure gage and take some readings.

/ Hydraulic Issues on my Montana 5264 #4  
the shaft seal on the pump also can suck air under certain conditions usually fatigued materials it can make the pump sound like you threw a handful of marbles through it

/ Hydraulic Issues on my Montana 5264
Thanks for the input fellas, the Tractor is back at my new dealer. This is a UTB Romanian build tracor so parts are relatively easy to get (UTB built tractors for Universal and many others over the years).

Im also having issues now with the front wheels moving left and right on their own, steering wheel doesnt move, seems to be air in the steering cylinder from time to time.

Here is the plan:

Flow test on the Hyd Systm
Checking for the air leak which i suspect (I remove the filter and it looks like a foaming can of Coke.)
Removing the exisitng filter head and paper filter system and replacing it with a new 5" head and a metal screen type filter. Cant get a screen filter to fit the current head. Other "experts" my new dealer spoke to did indicate that these tractors had issues with the paper type filters (# of microns too small, causing suction issues and pump failure, also moisture issues causing paper in filters to swell etc...)
Removal of the Hyd pump to check/repl the coupler and, if necessary the Hyd pump itsself.
May be a Hyd fluid change if they find any pump wear/damage etc dont want metal shavings in the oil.

Im also getting a new Water pump, since the bearing is going in mine ---- after only 350 hours !!

New in 2008, my tractor has only 350 hrs and Im having all these issues. what a heap of junk

/ Hydraulic Issues on my Montana 5264
So it seems my new dealer has isolated the main issue.

withthe flow meter installed (in various spots) he saw the flow rate was perfect while the tractor was stationary, but was dropping and spiking and sucking air when the tractor was in motion, the faster he went the worse it got.

eventually he found that the pickup pipe is connected to the 4wd case, a realtively small case with a smaller voume of oil, and largely occupied by gears. as soon as the grears start turning the pick-up no longer has a stable pool of hydr oil to pull form and the poblems start.

Next it to see if the pickup can be relocated to the main case to get a better pickup. of course drilling and tapping without getting shavings in the Tranny case will be the trick there.

Pump is good.

This guy is great.

dunno what all this is gonna cost me but at least he found my issues.

must be a common issue with these UTB Tractors