Testing Hydraulic hoses

/ Testing Hydraulic hoses #1  

sierradmax

Silver Member
Tractor
1998 Bobcat 763 & 2009 S-175
This winter I'll be tearing into a Bobcat 763 by doing an engine & hydraulics overhaul. With the cost of hoses, is there a kit that can test hydraulic hoses? i.e., plug one end and an adapter to fit on the opposite end and test with an air compressor?

/ Testing Hydraulic hoses #2  
An air compressor does not have the potential to test hyd hose.

Manufactured hose are tested at , I believe 4 times the operating pressure on a batch of hose.

If they aren't leaking don't mess with them, unless you just want all new hoses.

Hoses life is different, based on how and where it is used. .

/ Testing Hydraulic hoses #3  
Look at the hoses, are there cracks in the cover, places where the cover has been chaffed or worn through. How old are the hoses? On mobile equipment the oil temperature and engine compartment frequently are at 200 degrees F or hotter. This deteriorates the hose quicker than running at 100 degrees F.

Most major hose manufacturers recommend replacing hoses every 6 years if used on a daily basis.

I suspect some of the hoses, espcecially the HST drive ones would be much easier to change with the engine and seat pan removed.

Roy

/ Testing Hydraulic hoses
This is on a bobcat skid steer. Machine is 15 years old and has 3500hrs. I think If I'm diving this far into it, might as well open the wallet for all new hoses and o-rings.

/ Testing Hydraulic hoses #5  
sierradmax said:
This is on a bobcat skid steer. Machine is 15 years old and has 3500hrs. I think If I'm diving this far into it, might as well open the wallet for all new hoses and o-rings.

You must have some deep pockets, your opinion might change when you get the price quote for that. Personally I might limit that thought process to the "man I don't want to try to change this hose when the engine is in" hoses.

Brian

/ Testing Hydraulic hoses #6  
My suggestion would be to replace the hoses that are hard to acess with the engine in and do the easy ones when you can. Remember ANYTIME you have a hydrostatic system open everything including the new hoses have to be spotless CLEAN. The startup on a hydrostat system is crucial also. If whoever repairs the drivemotors and pump does not give you a startup proceedure go somewhere else!! CJ

/ Testing Hydraulic hoses #7  
If you are going to replace all the hoses, then measure and write down the length, fittings required, and take that to a hyd shop and get an estimate.

Make several copies and take to several shops if available.

You might also send your list to DiscountHydraulicHose.com

You can also make up your own hoses using

Field-Attachable (Reusable) Hose Fittings > Discount Hydraulic Hose.com

To add to the original question.

Yes, you can test the hyd pressure using a good pump capable of producing at least, 3000 psi.

This pump would work.

If you have a log splitter with pump, that will work.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-7762-D&catname=hydraulic

Pressure:
3190 PSI rated
3770 PSI peak
Speed:
2000 RPM rated
6000 RPM max.
Flow:
0.56 GPM rated
1.69 GPM max.

You can drive this pump with a 2 to 5 HP engine, and use a relief valve and needle valve. Just about every hyd system will see excessive high pressure at times.

Need a hyd tank, small one.

You should be very aware of what hyd fluid can do, so safety is standard practice.

Last edited:
   / Testing Hydraulic hoses
I have the parts manual to the machine and they do list part numbers for each hose but unfortunately, they don't list their length. I'll probably see what prices they are from bobcat (probably most expensive) as well as climb inside the machine, measure and note each hose, and shop around for the best price.

/ Testing Hydraulic hoses #9  
If you have a lot of hoses to do I would look into buying a basic hose crimper. You might find a used one on ebay with the dies you'll need. Chances are most of the hoses are going to be the same diameter so you could buy a roll of hose, the ends in bulk, and maybe just one die. Once you're done you could sell the crimper on ebay. That way you would have new hoses without dealing with things like taking oily hoses to your local guy to have them copied.

/ Testing Hydraulic hoses #10  
My not be the case on this vintage of a machine but later model units (Deere is what I am familier with) there are some hoses that need to be rated at 6,000 psi. This of course is not the gen purpose 1/2 etc hoses but primary pump pressure hoses. Again not necc the case on an older unit but keep that is mind as a gen purpose crimper won't accomplish that, nor will your avg hyd shop build one rated that high unless instructed to do so.