How to remove hydraulic pump from 1952 Case VAC?

/ How to remove hydraulic pump from 1952 Case VAC? #1  

RickG56

Tractor
1952 Case VAC-13
I've got a 1952 Case VAC-13 that I want to restore for brush hogging and the occassional wagon pull (firewood, hay, kids). It had a front end loader and hydraulics, but I don't need them now. Loader is gone. The tractor leaks terribly through gaskets, and I think it is because I have the hydraulic fluid (HI Frac) in the torque tube instead of the recommended oil (80-90). Can I just remove the pump and cap off the holes? Is there a trick to pulling the pump off, or something I need to know before doing so? If I had no pump, I'd need no lines or HI Frac, and could fill with oil, thus stopping leaks. I can't find anything in the manual regarding this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

/ How to remove hydraulic pump from 1952 Case VAC? #2  
If you have the I&T manual it would say how to install and remove it. Your pump is the one that mounts on the right side of the tractor where the belt pulley is. I see no issues with just taking it off and capping the holes. Welcome to the forum.

/ How to remove hydraulic pump from 1952 Case VAC?
The pump is up towards the front of the engine, just below the radiator. I think I can just unbolt it and remove it. Or could I just disconnect it from the hoses and plug the pair of holes on the pump and the pair of holes (feed/return) on the torque tube? My only concern is that if I just cap the holes, the pump will continue to run and destroy itself. Probably no big deal, but it would be a waste; maybe someone else could use it that wants hydraulics on their Case.... The belt pulley is farther down the torque tube, closer to where the seat is. I would assume that the belt pulley (which doesn't work) is mechanical and not hydraulic.

/ How to remove hydraulic pump from 1952 Case VAC? #4  
on second thought. say.. you didn't used to live in orlando and last year tinkered a vac to near death then sold a quite abused vac to a grey bearded guy did ya?

:)

seriously. get the manuals.

HUGE help when working on equipment.

there are a few pecularities with a vac you may run into on the oiler system that might scare you at first... but with a manual.. not alarming.

/ How to remove hydraulic pump from 1952 Case VAC? #5  
Just curious if you use the 3pt.

If so , why would you remove the pump?

How are you going to use the tractor?

You don't need 3pt to pull a wagon or trailer, but would be useful.

I do have manuals; I have the original owners manual, as well as the service manual. Neither shows or discusses a hydraulic pump situated at the front of the engine on the right. Both go into excruciating detail on a pump located about mid way along the right side of the torque tube, right about where my belt pulley is located. I suspect my hydraulic pump was an option. I don't know, but it simply is not in either of my manuals. If there is another, better manual, I'm all ears. I removed the pump last night; pretty easy to do, and now I just need to plug the two holes on the torque tube, and build a cover for where the pump was. I now have an exposed gear, and that should be covered up. What is the oiler problem that I might experience? I'm assuming that by removing the hydraulic pump completely, and using 80-90 oil instead of HI Frac, I will have both a fully functional tractor, and one that will no longer leak like a sieve. If there is something else I need to worry about, please let me know. The hydraulic pump was gear powered, so it should have been the only thing run off of that gear. If hydrualics were an option on these old tractors, and if the manual I have says to use 140 SAE and not HI Frac, I would think I'm pretty safe. Please let me know if I'm missing something here; as you might imagine, I am clearly not a tractor mechanic!

P.S. Never been to Orlando...

Last edited:
Tractor has no 3 pt; it did have a homemade bucket that I took off. I just need it to tow things, primarily a wagon and brush hog. Don't forsee needing hydraulics at all.

/ How to remove hydraulic pump from 1952 Case VAC? #8  
not sure where another post went.. but you mentioned your belt pulley did not work.. have you actually engaged it?

No, the guy I bought it from said he couldn't get it to work. I haven't tried it myself, as I've got the tractor torn apart, and haven't even run it yet. Once I get it back together, I'll read the manual, play with that square headed screw, and see if it works. I don't forsee using a belt anyway, but it would be nice to have everything in working order.

/ How to remove hydraulic pump from 1952 Case VAC? #10  
it's a set screw.

i made a detailed post about it .. but it? got deleted?

any way.. that pulley drve has to slide in and out and the set screw will hold it in one of those 2 places.. engaged or disengaged.. etc. it might simly need to be slid into engagement..