Pressure Relief Trouble (Blood Pressure and Hydraulic)

/ Pressure Relief Trouble (Blood Pressure and Hydraulic) #1  

LouieJunior

Gold Member
Tractor
JD4052R Open Station
Wondering if someone can help me with some trouble I am having hooking up the hoses to my PTO Stump Grinder. Earlier, these connections were easy to make. Today, I have struggled all afternoon with no progress. There are two hydraulic cylinders. I use the curl (bucket) function from my loader to operate the vertical cylinder to raise and lower the cutting wheel. I easily unfastened the bucket hoses (Black=Rod End; Yellow=Head End). No trouble refastening the Black hose to the grinder, but the Yellow hose will not completely couple. I have wiggled the joy stick multiple times to relieve the pressure with no luck.

I also fought with both hoses to the other cylinder. I use my grapple (third) function for to operate the horizontal movement of the cutting wheel. This connection is at the rear of the tractor and there is a vent valve with a T-handle which can be opened to remove pressure. You can see the small valve on top. The rear remotes are electronically controlled. Neither of these will connect - same problem. I can insert the connector but the spring-loaded collar on the tractor side will not Slide back and lock-in.

So, I could only connect one of four hoses today. On other days I have had no difficulty. Some photos are attached. What am I missing? I am a weekend hobby farmer and I am having an unproductive weekend.

Attachments

• image-2195308955.jpg
    image-2195308955.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 172
  • image-1989483599.jpg
    image-1989483599.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 224
   / Pressure Relief Trouble (Blood Pressure and Hydraulic) #2  
Wondering if someone can help me with some trouble I am having hooking up the hoses to my PTO Stump Grinder. Earlier, these connections were easy to make. Today, I have struggled all afternoon with no progress. There are two hydraulic cylinders. I use the curl (bucket) function from my loader to operate the vertical cylinder to raise and lower the cutting wheel. I easily unfastened the bucket hoses (Black=Rod End; Yellow=Head End). No trouble refastening the Black hose to the grinder, but the Yellow hose will not completely couple. I have wiggled the joy stick multiple times to relieve the pressure with no luck.

I also fought with both hoses to the other cylinder. I use my grapple (third) function for to operate the horizontal movement of the cutting wheel. This connection is at the rear of the tractor and there is a vent valve with a T-handle which can be opened to remove pressure. You can see the small valve on top. The rear remotes are electronically controlled. Neither of these will connect - same problem. I can insert the connector but the spring-loaded collar on the tractor side will not Slide back and lock-in.

So, I could only connect one of four hoses today. On other days I have had no difficulty. Some photos are attached. What am I missing? I am a weekend hobby farmer and I am having an unproductive weekend.
When hydraulics get hot they expand.
Either release a little pressure by carefully bleeding the end or gat a case of cold beer in a cooler of ice. Dribble th eice water on the hoses and fittings. Dribble the beer down your throat.

The best is to hook them up early in the AM while they are cold. There are many threads on this common problem.

/ Pressure Relief Trouble (Blood Pressure and Hydraulic)
I was hoping the cause was my negligence. If you are correct, sounds like this will be a recurring problem for me. I will give it a try early tomorrow, as you suggest. Good news is -- I should have no difficulties hooking up the snow blower in January! Your beer suggestion was very helpful too!

/ Pressure Relief Trouble (Blood Pressure and Hydraulic) #4  
I'm currious what happens if you connect backwards? Does this just reverse the direction or will it cause damage? Color codes sound smart.

/ Pressure Relief Trouble (Blood Pressure and Hydraulic) #5  
I usually resort to shutting off the tractor, cycling the levers and then connecting. releases the pressure from the tractor side in case a valve is letting a little bypass and building up pressure.

Another thing of concern: every time I attempt to connect one, I loose about a teaspoon of hydraulic fluid. Is this normal? Perhaps it confirms there is still pressure in the lines.

Gave it a go this morning. The two rear hoses locked-in. I still cannot connect the Yellow coded hose. Wondering what else to try?

/ Pressure Relief Trouble (Blood Pressure and Hydraulic) #8  
Loosen a fitting on the hydraulic line you are trying to plug in enough to relieve the pressure, plug it in, retighten the fitting.

DK - You are correct. I gave up earlier and decided to try reconnecting the bucket. This hooked-up without any trouble. This led me to conclude the pressure was in the stump grinder hose. I bled that hose by loosening the nut connecting it to the cylinder. After doing so, everything went together okay. I ground about a dozen stumps before breakfast. Thanks for the help.

/ Pressure Relief Trouble (Blood Pressure and Hydraulic) #10  
Just a thought. I don't know if this would have any effect.
Would shutting down the tractor, cycling the loader control, then disconnecting the stump grinder help with the reconnect ?
I would think that this would relieve any contained pressure.
I understand that build up from heat expansion would still occur.:anyone:

Maybe you are already doing this??:ashamed:

Bill