Hydraulic pump cavitation

/ Hydraulic pump cavitation #21  
Re: thread

Bill, keep in mind installing a pressure gauge after the pump requires you to "tee" into the line. Don't hook the gauge up directly off of the pump. That "flow" out of the pump needs to continue back to tank or be protected by a relief valve. You will also need to stroke a function to relief to read pressure. Just a reminder, the pump creates flow, restriction creates pressure. If the gauge is plugged in directly after the pump, without a source of relief. <font color="red"> VERY SERIOUS INJURY AND OR EQUIPMENT DAMAGE WILL RESULT........ </font>

/ Hydraulic pump cavitation
Re: thread

That's why I needed a new guage, I did that on something else and killed my last guage. There is a port on the power steering proportioning valve right beside the entry point for the main pressure line that I am going to try. Bill

/ Hydraulic pump cavitation
progress update

I installed the gauge in the p/s proportioning block inlet and fired it up. It would set on zero until you turned the steering wheel and it would approach 1000 psi but it was fluctuating up and down. All other hydraulic controls did nothing and gauge stayed at zero. OEM filter had not arrived yet and I needed the tractor so off to NAPA I went for another "will fit" but too fine filter. Put that on and to my suprise the hydraulics works better than ever before. Three point and loader moved smooth and fast and when they went full stroke the pressure would relief at about 2400 psi. One thing I hadn't mentioned was that during the week I found a badly worn ball check in the proportioning valve and I had replaced the ball. At the time it made no difference. My OEM filter did show up in the mail but by then the stores were closed and I only had one 5 gallon pail of 303 and I need about 6 gallons for a complete change. Anyway the hydraulics worked great all day so must be the pump isn't damaged. I did leave the gauge inplace just so I could keep track of what was happening. I did notice that when the 3-pt. raised to the top of the stroke that the pressure did not return to near zero. Must be some adjustment required there. Thanks for all your help, I'll let you know once I clean the strainer, change the fluid and finally get the OEM filter in place. Thanks for all your help, Bill.