3 PT Wood Splitter Set Up

/ 3 PT Wood Splitter Set Up #1  

JK10MF1635

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1635
Afternoon,

I have a MF1635 tractor with power beyond kit to run my backhoe. I just bought a used home made 3 pt wood splitter that I want to run. The gentleman I bought it from just had it hooked up to his rear remote to run it, because there is no hyd pump to run off the pto. This isn't practical for me, because I don't have a rear remote, and it runs $1200 just for parts. Also as a one man operation it would take forever to split wood if I had to walk to the tractor to run the splitter every time!

So.......my plan was to use my power beyond to run the splitter with a valve mounted on the splitter. I believe that I need a "single spool Hyd control valve" to do this. Correct? If that is correct can anyone suggest the proper one? I have looked on line and at my local tractor supply and dealer. There are quite a few different setups and price variations to go along!

Then.......how could I hook it up to my power beyond? In the attached pic my hoe is hooked up. I assume I would remove the blue/yellow collared line and attach it to the blue line on the tractor and then just run a line from the red collared line to the splitter valve?

And.......assuming I have all that right it is leaking some fluid from the front port on the hyd cylinder in pic "splitter 3". The gentleman told me there was plug on top there, or something, and he used what appears to be some black silicone to try and stop it from leaking. He said the cylinder came from a dump truck. Any suggestions on how to fix that? Can it be removed and I just is a fitting out of the cylinder straight to the new control valve?

This is my first time trying my hand at hyd so be gentle please.

Thanks,

JK

Attachments

• Splitter 3.jpg
    Splitter 3.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 327
  • Power Beyond.jpg
    Power Beyond.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 837
  • Splitter 1.jpg
    Splitter 1.jpg
    434.4 KB · Views: 892
  • Splitter 2.jpg
    Splitter 2.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 195
   / 3 PT Wood Splitter Set Up #2  
You could use the hyd that the BH uses, but the log splitter valve should only have about 300 to 500 psi for the back pressure.

You could use just the fluid from the tractor PB port to the log splitter, and the log splitter out hose would go to tank.

Remove the flange on the cyl and see what is under it causing the leak. It may be a bad seal .

Surplus Center - 1 SPOOL 25 GPM LOG SPLITTER VALVE W/AUTO DETENT

Another valve with a spool for a log lift.

Surplus Center - 2 SPOOL 25 GPM PRINCE LOG SPLITTER/LIFTER VALVE

Auto-cycle valve with PB

Surplus Center - 1 SPOOL PRINCE AUTO CYCLE LOG SPLITTER VALVE W/PB

/ 3 PT Wood Splitter Set Up #4  
When connecting valves in an open center hyd system, the PB port is used to send fluid to the next valve.

Valves that don't have PB are considered to be the only valve in a hyd circuit or the last valve in a hyd circuit.

Some hyd components are designed for high pressure , and some not. The OUT port on most valves is usually rated for about 300 psi to 500 psi, which means that if the hyd circuit is pressurized, the fluid will pressurize the seals on the valve or crack the valve, and you do not want that to happen.

So to be safe with the $64 valve, just feed the log splitter with fluid from the tractor PB port, and run the log splitter OUT hose to tank.

If you need the 3pt, you will have to consider some other option.

You could actually add a splitter and feed the log splitter and the 3pt, or alternate the flow to either circuit.

This is a manual valve to select different circuits.

Surplus Center - 1/2" NPT 20 GPM PRINCE SELECTOR VALVE

/ 3 PT Wood Splitter Set Up #5  
I run mine off the loader bucket connections with the joystick tied off to the left fender with a tarp strap. Make sure your control valve is made for a splitter, i.e., open=center! ~~ grnspot

Attachments

• HPIM3914 (Custom).JPG
    HPIM3914 (Custom).JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 257
  • HPIM3913 (Custom).JPG
    HPIM3913 (Custom).JPG
    61 KB · Views: 195