303 hydraulic fluid vs engine oil?

/ 303 hydraulic fluid vs engine oil? #1  

Rio_Grande

Platinum Member
MY manual says to use 30 wt diesel engine oil in my ctl70. I am due for a fluid change and I asked my dealer what fluid I should use. He advised when they change the fluid out in the units like mine they replace the engine oil with 303hydraulic fluid in the hydraulic system. I trust him cause if anyone other than me works on my machine then it is him. Does this sound right?

/ 303 hydraulic fluid vs engine oil? #2  
Hyd fluid is probably cheaper, but either will work.

Depends on where you live as to the weight of the hyd fluid. You need to cover the temp range the machine will be used.

/ 303 hydraulic fluid vs engine oil?
Thanks JJ I looked the hydro fluid up it is within my temp range but I couldnt verify the weight of the 303, Seems logical that 30 is 30 weight, but really not sure. I am going to look at the bucket tomorrow. There are so many trans hydro fluids anymore it is hard to tell what is what. I am going to buy the premium because it is a bit better in higher heat. I run a brush mower with this skid steer and the hydraulics get really hot.

/ 303 hydraulic fluid vs engine oil? #4  
premium in a utf may even be a udt..

Lol what do the abbreviations stand for?

/ 303 hydraulic fluid vs engine oil? #6  
UDT Universal Trans-Hydraulic Fluid

UTF Universal Tractor Fluid

/ 303 hydraulic fluid vs engine oil? #7  
utf is universal tractor fluid.. sometimes called transdraulic fluid.. etc.

udt is a kubota product.. they have a super udt premium line

Kubota UDT/SuperUDT Specifications

/ 303 hydraulic fluid vs engine oil? #8  
UDT is Universal Dynamic Tractor-fluid.

Thanks, this is all kinda confusing to me. I understand there is a difference between hydraulic and trans hydraulic fluid but I don't know what it is. My tractor takes trans hydraulic.looks like I will be using 303 fluid in the skid steer. My greatest concern is protecting the system as best I can. No part on this thing is reasonably priced.

/ 303 hydraulic fluid vs engine oil? #10  
just don't be putting hyd oil into the engine itself.

do not know your tractor and locations, but you may have some sort of hyd tank up in the front, then perhaps 2 places at rear, 1 for transmission, and 1 for rear end. for a total of 3 places for hyd oil. some times some of these are combined.

then 1 more place and that is the engine itself. (use engine oil for the engine)