303 hydraulic fluid vs engine oil?

/ 303 hydraulic fluid vs engine oil? #11  
Thanks, this is all kinda confusing to me. I understand there is a difference between hydraulic and trans hydraulic fluid but I don't know what it is. My tractor takes trans hydraulic.looks like I will be using 303 fluid in the skid steer. My greatest concern is protecting the system as best I can. No part on this thing is reasonably priced.

look in your manual and find out what spec oil it calls out.. then get a utf that meets that spec.. simple

/ 303 hydraulic fluid vs engine oil? #12  
He said his manual called for 30w diesel oil.

I and other Power-Trac owners use motor oil 10W-40 as the hyd fluid and have had no problems for about 16 years.

How would you match up motor oil to hyd specs? You could come close in the viscosity.

/ 303 hydraulic fluid vs engine oil? #13  
i'd match up viscosity.

I run a ton of old cat equipment that spec'd 30w int he trannies and hyds, and 40w in TC's

that was from the 70's

I see lots of foreign equipment still making listings like that.

IMHO..I'd find a good utf and go with it.. better package....

/ 303 hydraulic fluid vs engine oil? #14  
Rio_Grande,

Why not call the manufacturer or your dealer and get their opinion.

Things might have changed since new.

I doubt that any of us are oil specific technicians, and we are just relating out experiences.

About using motor oil as the hyd fluid in my Power-Trac, I am going to use their recommendations until convinced otherwise.

I would think that if they have to provide warranty for their product, then they would have done research for the best fluid to use. Some of us use synthetic motor oil as the hyd fluid with good results.

/ 303 hydraulic fluid vs engine oil?
My dealer says they replace the motor oil with 303 I just wanted to be sure he wasn't dilusional. I would prefer to use the engine oil if it weren't double the price. Dad was throwing a fit about using the motor oil. He is convinced that motor oil is the wrong thing to put in it.

/ 303 hydraulic fluid vs engine oil? #16  
My dealer says they replace the motor oil with 303 I just wanted to be sure he wasn't dilusional. I would prefer to use the engine oil if it weren't double the price. Dad was throwing a fit about using the motor oil. He is convinced that motor oil is the wrong thing to put in it.

wrong? that's a toss up.

I can say it is, or used to be common. however.. there are SOOOOO many 'better' choices out there for add packages. anti wear.. corrosion, dealing with water... EP addatives.. etc.. etc.. anti foaming.. etc.. etc..

/ 303 hydraulic fluid vs engine oil? #17  
There are people everywhere that are hard set and will not change their thoughts and ways, based on what they believe.

Even though I don't like to change my ways and thoughts about something, I have to do it occasionally.

You usually use what you know until you are convinced the other way is better or just the right thing to do.

I don't believe the hyd fluid verses motor oil delima is written in stone, based on history and use.

I believe I could even use 40W motor and get away with it here in Florida.

/ 303 hydraulic fluid vs engine oil? #18  
i believe most power steering nad hyd systems generally would run on anything from 10w to 40w oil in our florida temps... i know guys that get cheap 10w30 and use that for everything... i don't.. but know people that do....