Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    TC-40D SS New Holland

Default Re: Outrigger on new BH does not have much downforce...?

For what it's worth the outriggers on my New Holland backhoe have drifted down since the day I got it. There has never been an issue otherwise. I don't think what you are hearing is normal though when trying to lower one. Mine will lift the tractor off the ground easily. Think what others have said about bypass sounds right to me.

Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

Is the cyl rod moving at all.

Perhaps the piston nut came off and all the fluid is flowing though the piston hole.

If you don't have any or very little pressure, that is most likely the problem.

If you put a hyd gage in a tee in the IN port of the BH valve, you will have your answer, by what you observe.
    J.J.

When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

Git er done.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by heron View Post
    The good outrigger makes no noise and quickly pulls the tractor tire off the ground. This one exerts some pressure and then just keeps making this whooshing sound as if a valve is not closing and fluid is bypassing.

If the hoses reach can I switch the connections to isolate whether it's in the valve body or the piston. If I switch it to the other side and it lifts fine at least I know it is definitely some issue in the body.
    Is this something where the entire valve body for the BH has to be replaced if it's truly in the body and not the piston?
    I doubt if it is your spool for the outrigger, but is it is, and that valve is a stacked valve, then you can replace the bad spool assembly.

If the valve body is a one piece mono-block assembly, I don't think you can just replace the spool, ans it is a precision fit, and if the spool is worn, then the spool bore may be worn also, and a new spool in a worn bore would not work well.
    J.J.

Git er done.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by J_J View Post
    Is the cyl rod moving at all.

Perhaps the piston nut came off and all the fluid is flowing though the piston hole.

If you don't have any or very little pressure, that is most likely the problem.

If you put a hyd gage in a tee in the IN port of the BH valve, you will have your answer, by what you observe.
    Not sure what you mean by the cylinder rod moving...? Everything works as normal when you look at it. It simply does not have the down pressure the other one does. It will push down some and will hold down when under a load. It just will not push the back of the machine up like the other one will.
    This BH has never been used..not sure why you keep saying the spool is worn...it may be defective but worn is definitely not the issue.
    I'm not sure what you mean by the piston nut..is this inside the cylinder? I don't have any access to a guage. Like I had said in a previous post would it help if I switched the sides on the lines to isolate whether it is an actual piston issue or a spool problem...?

Not sure if this helps as far as the spool goes but this is an Ameriquip 8' 6" BH. It is a 2010 model year but again was a BH that was taken off a brand new tractor b/c the buyer did not need the BH. The dealer at the time figured he would simply put it on another one but then gave up the dealership.

Do most of these BH's have the ability to adjust each hydraulic piston individually? Could it be that from the dealer they simply set up the adjustment wrong for this one outrigger b/c like I said it functions..goes up and down the same speed as the other; it just does not exert the same pressure as the other. It's actually probably a safe working pressure as little as I've played around with the BH it seems like if there is excess pressure on these outriggers they will bend quite easily. I'm accustomed in my younger days running 50-80 ton excavators and not worrying about bending components.
    Last edited by heron; 09-23-2012 at 10:49 PM.

Elite Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,

If the hoses will reach, then switch them around and you will find out where the problem is.

Good luck
    Brian
    Top and Tilt Kits by Fit Rite Hydraulics

Tractor

I am not saying your spool is bad, but to check it out, plug a hyd gage in the hose going to the cyl and push or pull the lever. If the pressure builds up and the relief comes on, then you know you have good working pressure.

If you switch hoses from the other out rigger, and you still have the problem, then the cyl is bypassing.

If you would have put a gage in the system at the start, you would already know the problem.

We are all just guessing until you eliminate all the other possibilities.

A gage set is only about $30.
    J.J.

Git er done.

Bronze Member

What/where can I get a guage set that will work. Is this something I can find at a Northern Tool or Harbor Freight. TY

Elite Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,

You don't have a gauge, as long as the hoses are long enough to swap around, it cost you nothing other than a few minutes to find out if it is the cylinder or the spool valve. I would save the money at this time in the game if it were me.

But that is just me.
    Brian
    Top and Tilt Kits by Fit Rite Hydraulics

Tractor

TSC should have a hyd gage, or any hyd shop.

Surplus Center

Bottom Mounted Pressure Gauges

NorthStar Pressure Washer Pressure Gauge — 5000 PSI, 3/8in. Fitting | Filled Gauges| Northern Tool + Equipment

You can add additional hose to make the other hoses longer for testing.
    Last edited by J_J; 09-24-2012 at 09:30 AM.
    J.J.

Git er done.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Quote Originally Posted by heron View Post
    If I just get the piston replaced will this solve the issue or could the issue be within the valve body of the BH.
    whoa! slow down.

just blindly throwing oddball parts at this will get expensive and is not likely to immediaely solve your problem.

TROUBLESHOOT it first.

if you think a DA cyl is leaking pull 1 hose off and pressurize the other one and see if you get flow thru..

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast