Outrigger on new BH does not have much downforce...?

/ Outrigger on new BH does not have much downforce...? #1  

heron

Bronze Member
Just hooked up a "new to me" Branson 8620(Ameriquip) BH to my 4220 Branson. This piece was a left over in a dealership that quit carrying the line and it is new but has sat for the last 2 years. Got a great deal on it so I snatched it up.
All works great except one outrigger just does not have the same force as the other. One will pretty much pick up one side of the tractor while the other makes a whooshing sound but just does not have the oomp. Seems like air trapped in there. I know on these small TLB's you are not supposed to lift up the rear wheels like on a commercial machine but I still know due to the sound something is not right. Any idea what I should do to correct it? Do I put it down and bleed the pressure side or could something be wrong with the BH valve body? Does not seem to be any seal leakage...?
No issues digging with this thing at all...it's a beast for a little BH.;)

/ Outrigger on new BH does not have much downforce...? #2  
If you would put a gage in the BH IN port, you can read the pressure on any cyl you operate.

You could have a bad piston seal on the outrigger. Does the outrigger leak down?

Could be a worn outrigger spool

If there is any air, it should be expelled after several up and downs.

/ Outrigger on new BH does not have much downforce...?
No leakdown. The BH has never been used...it's brand new except it sat in a tractor yard for
for last two years. I don,t have a guage. Why would it be making a wooshing sound when
trying to press it down?

/ Outrigger on new BH does not have much downforce...? #4  
wooshing could be bypassing.. ie a DA cyl seal bypassing, or a spool bypassing or relief.. though those usually are buzzes or squeals. it should not be hitting the relief if it's also not lifting well... If it does not leak down then I would deffinately pressure test that circuit. JJ gave you some good advice.

/ Outrigger on new BH does not have much downforce...? #5  
If you would put a gage in the BH IN port, you can read the pressure on any cyl you operate.

You could have a bad piston seal on the outrigger. Does the outrigger leak down?

Could be a worn outrigger spool

If there is any air, it should be expelled after several up and downs.

If an outrigger does leak down, does that necessarily mean it has a bad seal? I read this post and was curious as one of my outriggers is leaking down. I do have really good down force though.

/ Outrigger on new BH does not have much downforce...? #6  
I don't know if there is a standard for an internal leaking cyl, but if it causes you to constantly have to adjust it then the seals need replacing.

It could be a worn spool for the outrigger.

/ Outrigger on new BH does not have much downforce...? #7  
Or your spool valve is leaking.

wooshing could be bypassing.. ie a DA cyl seal bypassing, or a spool bypassing or relief.. though those usually are buzzes or squeals. it should not be hitting the relief if it's also not lifting well... If it does not leak down then I would deffinately pressure test that circuit. JJ gave you some good advice.

At first it did make some crazy shreaking sound right at the piston when I'd let it down. It comes up quickly and has no leak down. Again, this BH is a NOS so it has never been used, in fact I just greased it for the first time today.
I'm not sure how to pressure test it. I assume put some kind of guage in the P side of the line to the cylinder. The person I bought it from guaranteed it would work well and told me if I have an issue to let him know. If I just get the piston replaced will this solve the issue or could the issue be within the valve body of the BH.

I don't know if there is a standard for an internal leaking cyl, but if it causes you to constantly have to adjust it then the seals need replacing.

It could be a worn spool for the outrigger.

The BH has never been used yet it sat for 2 years in a tractor yard.

The good outrigger makes no noise and quickly pulls the tractor tire off the ground. This one exerts some pressure and then just keeps making this whooshing sound as if a valve is not closing and fluid is bypassing.

If the hoses reach can I switch the connections to isolate whether it's in the valve body or the piston. If I switch it to the other side and it lifts fine at least I know it is definitely some issue in the body.
Is this something where the entire valve body for the BH has to be replaced if it's truly in the body and not the piston?