Tractor
    1983 Ford 1900

Default 1983 Ford 1900 Tractor - Hydraulic Equipment hardly works

Hi,

My 1983 Ford 1900 tractor has about 745 hours and the hydraulic filter has never been serviced. Last Fall the loader and backhoe took a long time (1/2 hour warm up) before they would even work and then they would rise with jerky motion lifting very slowly. I thought it was the cold weather but this hot July and August it was the same. By the way, at one point without realizing it, I had pulled back on the lift lever so that there was hydraulic resistance. When I pushed the lift lever forward that problem went away. Also I opened the flow control valve and it got a little better but a couple of days ago after I struggled to load some dirt and to grade it and the loader and backhoe nearly stopped working. Today I started the tractor and I was able to lift the loader and backhoe with great difficulty, a foot or so off the ground. I blocked them so they would not drop, figuring I may have to have the tractor transported.

Do you think that it may be the filter? How difficult is it to replace it or clean it and can someone describe the procedure. However, as I increase the RPM I hear some squeaking. Could it be the pump? The fluid is clear. How do I verify if it's the pump and if it is the pump then how to go about replacing it and where I should look to get one? Does anyone have a diagram or details on how to replace the pump.

I really would appreciate some help.

Thanks,

Natan

Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

Default Re: 1983 Ford 1900 Tractor - Hydraulic Equipment hardly works

Drain the fluid, remove the suction tube and than the three or four bolts that hold the suction screen flange to the rear axle center section housing. Withdraw the screen, clean it or replace it.
    Don't even think about replacing or even touching the pump without servicing the suction screen.
    We have too much gun control.
    What we need is more idiot control.

Tractor
    JD 5520, 790 TLB-- Kub L4300, B7800, MX5100

Quote Originally Posted by RickB View Post
    Drain the fluid, remove the suction tube and than the three or four bolts that hold the suction screen flange to the rear axle center section housing. Withdraw the screen, clean it or replace it.
    Don't even think about replacing or even touching the pump without servicing the suction screen.
    Absolutely correct. I'll bet that sump screen is all plugged up. Order the round gasket before you take things apart.

May I be the kind of person my dogs think I am,

Tractor
    Ford 1900 FWD Kubota F2100E

When you drain the fluid there are 3 drain plugs. The hard to find one is hid by the draw bar if you have one. Make sure you put the correct oil back in it.
    Bill

Tractor
    Kubota B2320

Quote Originally Posted by RickB View Post

all good advice.......
    2010 Kubota B2320 FEL & BH65
    If it ain't fixed don't broke it!

http://www.tractorbynet.com/content/...-month-wdchyd/

Tractor
    1983 Ford 1900

Hi Guys,

Your replies game the incentive to undertake this. The screen was really clogged up. I cleaned it with diesel fluid and a tooth brush and then the air hose from the inside and outside. The reward is that the hydraulics work beutifully.

Thanks to each of you for responding.

Natan

Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

Quote Originally Posted by natan View Post
    Hi Guys,

Your replies game the incentive to undertake this. The screen was really clogged up. I cleaned it with diesel fluid and a tooth brush and then the air hose from the inside and outside. The reward is that the hydraulics work beutifully.

Thanks to each of you for responding.

Natan
    Glad you are up & running at minimal cost.
    We have too much gun control.
    What we need is more idiot control.