Teflon Tape or Teflon Paste

/ Teflon Tape or Teflon Paste #1  

mjonesnh

Gold Member
Tractor
TC34DA
Blew a power steering hose on my New Holland TC34DA today, not a complete blow out but a split about 1" long. Tractor has 2 rubber hoses about 12" long that goes from metal pipe to the power steering cylinder at left wheel. Decided to replace both hoses while I am at it. Ordered them from local New Holland dealer and should be here Wed. or thur.. When I install the new hoses should I use Teflon tape or the Teflon paste. Have been told by some to use tape, some have advised to use paste as the tape has a tendency to get inside the cylinders,and a couple of people have stated to not use either just the bare fittings. What is the consensus on this forum?

/ Teflon Tape or Teflon Paste #2  
Tape is not reccomended for hydraulics. Paste is or a liquid type sealer. I know loctite makes one thats purple and designed for hydraulics.

That said, what kind of fittings are they. If JIC flare or NPSM, no sealer is required as the seal is mechanical. And if it is an ORB fitting, again, no sealer as the o-ring seals the fitting.

/ Teflon Tape or Teflon Paste #3  
I have used tape successfully and professionally for decades. Used properly, teflon tape is safe and effective, period.
Used carelessly and improperly, teflon tape can cause problems when allowed to migrate within the system.
Your call.

/ Teflon Tape or Teflon Paste #6  
Hydralic lines are not like water lines. They are under such pressure that you cannot seal the threads like you can water lines. The seal has to be metal to metal or with a rubber seal like an o ring. It really depends on what you have and how much pressure you are dealing with to know what type of fittings you use.

Eddie

/ Teflon Tape or Teflon Paste
Believe one end is flare nut, the end that couples to the metal pipe but the end that screws to the hyd cyl. looks just like plain 3/8 npt. Looks like I will have to break flare nut loose and then just un-screw the hose from cyl. as the nut has 9/16 flats that seem to be integral with the with crimped end. Forgive me for my limited fitting knowledge as this this the first hose I have ever had to replace.

/ Teflon Tape or Teflon Paste #9  
taper threads usually need sealant as mentioned above. paste or liquid.. or tape. I don't usually prefer tape.. but if used correctly as rick mentions, it's fine.. just roll it correct direction.. and as with paste.. keep it off the first full thread. There are some new -er taper threads that seal much better than NPT.. still....

compression fittings and flare fittings do not need thread sealant as the threads are not sealing.. it is the metal face contact. Similarly, ORF and ORB fittings do not need thread sealant.

/ Teflon Tape or Teflon Paste #10  
Ive alwasy thought one purpose of teflon tape was to also make it removed easier in the future.(like 30 years ). Is that also true.?