Tractor
    Yanmar 1610 2X4 tractor---Kabota B 2320 4X4 7 Kobelco SK015 Excavator

Default FINDING A HYDRAULIC LEAK

Trying to find a hydraulic leak on my Kobelco sk 015 excavator -----leaking pretty good---I calculated the leak costs me .45 cents per hour when using the machine.
    Question: Will it leak just sitting there running OR does something need to be used, such as operating the bucket, tracts, etc..
    I have it up on RR ties at the moment and it does seam to leak just sitting there running.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Default Re: FINDING A HYDRAULIC LEAK

Could just be some seapage at a union or swage connection. $.45 per hour oil leak is miniscule. At about $10 per gallon, 45 cents per hour is nothing (6 oz). I have seen worn out cylinders leak much more than that.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

Just wipe or clean the cyl, valves and fittings , and look for the leak.

There are dyes that can be put in the hyd system, and will fluoresce with a black light
    J.J.

When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

Git er done.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    555DTC Farmall 200

So does it leak sitting and not running??? It depends where the leak is if you would need to use a function for it to leak. Pressure line to a valve would leak all the time running, pressure line after a valve would only leak if valve opened. That should narrow down where to start looking
    If it was 6oz per running hour I agree not bad at all , but 6oz an hour not running just sitting there would be an issue. As that's a gallon a day. Personally, depending on what it is when you find it would dictate whether to fix it or not. If it was a labor intensive job to fix it, I would let it go. An easy fix such as a line or something that could get worse and fail completely, bite the bullet.

Tractor

OK---Found the leak---Seams it only leaked when the tracts are moving-----I raised the machine up off the ground & spun the tracks for a few minutes----sure enough I found the leak. Was a conection on the hydro pump & leaking a steady drip. The conection is not easy to get to---had to use a 7/8 wench---was a tad too big---will go to the auto store & get the correct size tomorrow ( what ever that is ?)

Now that the leak is stopped the machine seams to have a bit more power/speed going uphill-----Just my imagination OR could a small leak cause loss of power/speed?

THANKS for Replies

Tractor
    John Deere 2030, John Deere 6415

Quote Originally Posted by gunnner View Post
    OK---Found the leak---Seams it only leaked when the tracts are moving-----I raised the machine up off the ground & spun the tracks for a few minutes----sure enough I found the leak. Was a conection on the hydro pump & leaking a steady drip. The conection is not easy to get to---had to use a 7/8 wench---was a tad too big---will go to the auto store & get the correct size tomorrow ( what ever that is ?)

Now that the leak is stopped the machine seams to have a bit more power/speed going uphill-----Just my imagination OR could a small leak cause loss of power/speed?

THANKS for Replies
    7/8 is a tad too big, 21mm or 22mm is my guess, depending on how big a tad is
    John Deere 2030 JD 245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 mfwd JD 640SL Loader

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Branson 2400H, JD X540

Quote Originally Posted by gunnner View Post

THANKS for Replies
    A steady drip with the tracks off the ground would be a larger leak with tracks on the ground while under pressure. So yes you could possibly see a change in spped from this leak.
    Artificial Intelligence will never overcome natural stupidity.

Branson 2400H MMM & FEL

JD X540

Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

If you are leaking at the relief pressure to cause demished operation, you should/will know it.

That means that some of those GPM's is going somewhere else.

It is going through the relief valve or leaking on the ground.

The flow could also be bypassng the hyd motor if worn, causing poor operation.
    J.J.

When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

Git er done.

Tractor

Thumbs up Re: FINDING A HYDRAULIC LEAK

Aaaaaah ----- So it was not my imagination bout the speed ----

BTW---A tad turned out to be .23mm ----( I bought a 22mm wench today---fits good )

THANKS for all the informative replies