solenoid valve with power beyond capabilities

/ solenoid valve with power beyond capabilities #1  

daryng

Tractor
Ford 5200
hello, new to the forum here. I am wanting to add a solenoid controlled valve for a FEL grapple to an existing power beyond circuit, however I can't seem to find one. Do they exist? I have a Ford 5200 (5000 row crop platform tractor) in which I added an adaptor plate which basically runs a power beyond to the loader joystick, from there a pb to a single spool valve (to add another set of hydraulic remotes) and pb back to run the 3 point hitch. my hopes were that I could find a solenoid controlled valve that has power beyond capabilities, run it in the circuit, and I could rig up a switch on my joystick. I'm sure i'm not the only person in the world who has attempted this before. it seems simple to me, a simple single spool valve (w/ pb of course) that has an electronic solenoid in place of where a lever would be? any help in this dilema would be greatly appreciated.

I know I could just run hoses back to my one of my remotes, but I would like to keep my remotes free for implements.

/ solenoid valve with power beyond capabilities #2  
Google "site:tractorbynet.com 3rd function" and you should be off and running.

/ solenoid valve with power beyond capabilities #3  
Solenoid manifolds are already designed for high pressure, and therefore don't need a special port.

You can put a solenoid assembly anywhere in the series path of an open center circuit.

Surplus Hydraulics has lots of solenoid valves you can use.

Last edited:
   / solenoid valve with power beyond capabilities #4  
This is a 12v solenoid control valve off of a JD planter. Its used to control the marker boom. Most seeder planters have them and can be found in salvage lots.
Surplus Center has solenoid control valves, also try Ebay they have many listed.

Attachments

• DSCN8380.jpg
    DSCN8380.jpg
    455.2 KB · Views: 516
   / solenoid valve with power beyond capabilities #5  
Solenoid manifolds are already designed for high pressure, and therefore don't need a special port.

You can put a soleoid assembly anywhere in the series path of an open center circuit.

This depends on the type of solenoid valve being used. Some D03, D05 style manifold/subplate mount valves will not allow more than 1000,1500 PSI in the tank line others will allow 3000 + PSI. When used in series this type of valve must be able to have the "T"-Tank line pressurized.

Screw-in cartridge style like morris9460 posted typically allow full pressure in the tank line.

/ solenoid valve with power beyond capabilities #6  
   / solenoid valve with power beyond capabilities

You can put a solenoid assembly anywhere in the series path of an open center circuit.

Surplus Hydraulics has lots of solenoid valves you can use.

I had read that, but i was concerned about the valve being able to allow the cylinder on the grapple to drain the non pressure side while applying pressure to the opposite cylinder side simultaneously. to me it seems that it would need another low pressure drainage port, like most pb valves have. I have never physically inspected a solenoid valve, but in my head it would appear that when one side of the solenoid is engaged and diverting high pressure fluid to the desired side of the cylinder, it blocks off the ability of the non pressure side to drain. seeing that there is only one in port and one out port, if the solenoid is blocking the flow there, then how does the low pressure fluid get to the drain port. I could be wrong, and maybe in my head i'm not quite picturing how the valve structure is set up between the ports....

/ solenoid valve with power beyond capabilities #8  
You have fluid into the IN port, and fluid through the OUT port, and you have two work ports. Same as a single spool valve without PB.

When you activate the solenoid, the IN fluid goes to one side of a cyl, and the fluid on the other side of the cyl exits the OUT port.

With no voltage applied, , fluid flows in the IN port and out the OUT port, locking the cyl.

/ solenoid valve with power beyond capabilities #9  
These valves and sub assemblys do not have or need PB.

Surplus Center - 12 VDC 10 GPM OC DA SOLENOID VALVE

Surplus Center - 1 STATION DO3 SUBPLATE OPEN CENTER

4 ports and 5000 psi rating.

This in not a true statement for the Vickers valves..

NOTE: This is copied from Eaton Vickers data sheet GB-C-2015

Depending on if this is a DG4V-3 as stated or a DG4V-3S which is more common you can have two different tank port pressures.

Port T code
Refer to “Operating Data” for port T
pressure ratings.
2 – 10 bar (150 psi) for spool position indicator models S3, S4 and S5.

4 – 70 bar (1000 psi)

5 – 100 bar (1500 psi) for standard performance models, DG4V-3S, with AC or DC solenoids.

6 – 207 bar (3000 psi) for AC high performance models, DG4V-3, including spool position indicator type S6.

7 – 207 bar (3000 psi) for DC high performance models, DG4V-3, including spool position indicator type S6.

/ solenoid valve with power beyond capabilities #10  
daryng,

All cyl fluid usually exits the OUT/TANK port, and is low pressure.

However in a valve with no PB, all fluid will exit the OUT/tank port. If this is the only valve, there will be no or very little back pressure, but if another valve is added downstream, and is activated, this is what cases trouble with back pressure on the OUT port.

If you use the DO3 subplates from Surplus Hydraulics, you should be safe.