1982 Ford 7710 FEL Control Change

/ 1982 Ford 7710 FEL Control Change #1  

spollan

Tractor
Kubota L3400
I have a 1982 Ford 7710 with a Koyker 400 loader. The hydraulic lines to the loader are connected to the rear ports which are controlled by the two lever system in the cab. The levers are originally installed to control 3 pt equipment in the rear as the tractor was not originally plumbed for the FEL.

My question is this...has anyone changed over to a single joystick type lever for a FEL for this type of setup and if so please let me know what all was involved. Nearly all of my FEL experience is with a joystick controller and I am a pretty poor operator with the two lever system. Most FEL work is with a grapple bucket for clearing trees or dirt bucket.

Thank you.

/ 1982 Ford 7710 FEL Control Change #2  
If you want to change over from a two spool valve to a joystick valve, then all you have to do is to run pump flow to the IN port of the new valve.

Move the work ports hoses to the new valve work ports.

Connect the Out port to the return hose.

If you have another valve downstream, connect the PB using adapter to the next valve.

The new valve with PB will have at least 7 ports.

/ 1982 Ford 7710 FEL Control Change
If you want to change over from a two spool valve to a joystick valve, then all you have to do is to run pump flow to the IN port of the new valve.

If you have another valve downstream, connect the PB using adapter to the next valve.

Wow, thanks for the quick reply and instructions. I am shaking my head right now because I tried to over complicate the process.

/ 1982 Ford 7710 FEL Control Change #4  
spollan ,

Your flow path should be like this, pump, loader valve, remote valve, 3pt, tank.

Loader valve and remote valve should have PB.

As far as a grapple, you will need another valve, be it a 3ed function, Diverter valve or single lever spool valve.

or

Use one of the remote spools for the grapple.

/ 1982 Ford 7710 FEL Control Change #5  

It would be nice and tidy if it were all that simple and inexpensive.
However, we have a person posting detailed information concerning a hydraulic system he clearly knows little or nothing about. A 7710 uses two fixed displacement gear style pumps, a complicated combining/unload valve, and closed center remote valves.
To successfully add an independent control valve to the system, one must purchase a closed center load sensing valve with the desired spool and work port configuration. The existing pressure line feeding the remote valves must be tapped to supply the new valve, and the signal circuit controlling the combining valve must be connected to the new valve (maintaining present connections) using a check valve oriented properly.
Interrupting the flow coming from the front pump will negate that pump's relief valve function as it relates to the new valve and cut the available flow to the new valve in half. interrupting the rear pump flow prior to it reaching the combining valve is essentially impossible due to the porting, and if done would cut the available flow to the new loader valve in half.

/ 1982 Ford 7710 FEL Control Change #7  
RickB,

You may be right.

Glad you think there's just a chance.
Sure would have sucked for spollan to spend a few hundred bucks to find out you weren't.
One of these times you are going to do it to somebody.

/ 1982 Ford 7710 FEL Control Change #8  
Actually, I thought I was on your ignore list.

My advice is also free and not written in stone.

The printed material from Tractor Data says the tractor is open center hydraulics.

TractorData.com Ford 7710 tractor information

/ 1982 Ford 7710 FEL Control Change
RickB,

You may be right.

I did not know it was a closed center hyd system.

TractorData.com Ford 7710 tractor information

spollan,

Sorry if I confused the situation.

Please tell what you have for a hyd system.

Sorry for the delayed reply. Honestly, I don't know the difference between the two. I just have the stock system on the 1982 7710.
I am actually rethinking the joystick control and would really be much more interested in a 3rd function for a grapple. Would this be a difficult undertaking? I am pretty handy with most things mechanical, but am a hydraulic system newbie.

/ 1982 Ford 7710 FEL Control Change #10  
If you have a manual for the tractor, what does it say?

Tractor Data suggest that is is open center hyd system.

RickB says it is closed center hyd system.

The grapple might be easier with a diverter/selector valve.

With no voltage applied, the curl work normally, and when you want grapple, you press a button and curl lever now controls the grapple.