MF35 fitting log splitter

/ MF35 fitting log splitter #1  

stephencaslake

Tractor
John Deere 330 mini tractor, Ferguson 35
Can anybody tell me where I can get 2 hydraulic oil feeds from my MF35 to run a hydraulic log splitter fitted to the 3 point linkage.
The log splitter has 2 feed pipes to its control lever valve.

Kind Regards

Steve (Selby UK)

/ MF35 fitting log splitter #2  
Do you have a loader on the tractor or just the 3pt?

You need to pass the fluid to a valve with relief to be safe and then to the log splitter. .

A remote valve at the rear would satisfy this requirement.

/ MF35 fitting log splitter #3  
could likely rely upon the internal pump and relief.. but you might die of old age waiting for it to cycle.

a pto pump, resevoir might be the way to go...

/ MF35 fitting log splitter
Hi J J.
Thanks for the reply.
I do have a front loader on the tractor. It is fed from a port on the right hand side of the gearbox top,with an isolating lever valve,
and controled by the draft lever.
The problem is that the log splitter has 2 feed pipes with quick release couplings.
I could T off the front loader pipe but what do I do with the 2nd pipe for the log splitter?

/ MF35 fitting log splitter #5  
if the splitter has it's own valve.. it just has a pressure and return fitting.

i'm sure you can be vcreative in rigging up a diverter to send oil to the splitter fromt he laoder control, and then return it from the splitter to sump.

/ MF35 fitting log splitter #6  
You can't tee off an open center hyd circuit.

You need to shift the fluid from one area to another area.

You could use one hose from the curl hyd to power the splitter as the supply , and the return from the splitter would go to tank..

The curl lever would have to be activated to supply constant fluid to the splitter..

/ MF35 fitting log splitter #7  
as already mentioned you will not be impressed with the cycle time using the internal hyd pump search for a pto mounted pump online would be my suggestion

/ MF35 fitting log splitter #9  
It may not be the fastest, but it will split just fine. We did it for years. Faster than an axe, and easier on the heart.

/ MF35 fitting log splitter #10  
sure it WILl split it.. just not cycle fast.

Most commercial splitters are usig 2 stage pumps.. that cycle fast.. i just perused about 20 online.. cycle times were int he 18 second range using a 2 stage pump that ran over TWICE the gpm of that MF tractor onboard pump.. which by the way.. to get 8gpm, the engine has to be setting there screaming. it don't make 8gpm at cheerefull idle.. it makes it at full gallop....