Ferguson TO-20 pto hydaulic problem

/ Ferguson TO-20 pto hydaulic problem #1  

Bjgolbeck

Tractor
Ferguson TO-20
I have a 1949 Ferguson TO-20 that I have a problem with. When you put in the clutch, the 3 point implement drops slowly. With the clutch engaged the pump works fine. I have removed the entire pump assembly and I'm thinking it may just be the sloppy Control valve. Could it be the inlet / outlet valves? I just need to know what parts to buy to fix the problem and any help would be very beneficial and I would be very grateful. Other than a bad manifold which I'm replacing along with the exhaust, she's a strong running tractor.
Thanks a million, Bernie

/ Ferguson TO-20 pto hydaulic problem #2  
Let me know what you find out because my to30 does the same thing well way worse especially when its hot... from reading the manual i have it should hold up for at least 15 mins under load after the tractor has been turned off.. My guess its either some bypass valve stuck. or the hydraulic cylinder is leaking.. I havent go to pulling the cover off and starting the tractor to see what the problem is

/ Ferguson TO-20 pto hydaulic problem
I will post the final results here. I'm just hessitant to spend $300 for a total rebuild kit when I might only need the control valve or rework the valve chambers. I pulled the pump unit and now I'm hunting for the right repair kit. I do have to say that it looked as though the fluid had never been chaged for the life of the tractor (1949) plenty of sludge and as dark as used motor oil. Who knows, maybe that was one of the culprits if not "the" problem alone.

Snowjoker, I was told that the hydraulic lift piston is a common cause for the problem, although my three rings seemed pretty tight. I've ordered new rings anyway along with new valve body kits for both sides of the pump and a new control valve. I think my problem was the years of use with sludge. I'm hesitant to flush the system with diesel before the new parts to save the seals that are in place.

/ Ferguson TO-20 pto hydaulic problem #5  
Have you put a hyd gage in the system to see if the relief pressure is being met.

You can also test your pump with a flow meter and gage assembly and a needle valve.

You could have bad seals or worn valve spool.

/ Ferguson TO-20 pto hydaulic problem #6  
Snowjoker, the TO-20 and TO-30 have hydraulic pumps that are not "live." That means that as soon as you step on the clutch, you remove power to the pump. The pump is actually in the hydraulic reservoir below the operator's seat. There is no valve movement when you step on the clutch. Only the pump stops pumping fluid. Because of the age of your tractor, I can almost certainly guarantee you have a leak at the hydraulic lift cylinder. I think you'll need to remove the lift cover to do repairs. I suggest getting an I&T manual for your tractor before starting this job or get somebody knowledgeable to do the job. That said, this discussion from 2009 might also be helpful. Also, here is a source for almost any part you'll need to rebuild your lift cylinder, pump, or control valves.

I was told the same thing yesterday. I pulled the lift cover and assembly and the rings seemed to be tight and the cycinder walls showed no wear. I went ahead and ordered a new set of rings anyway along with repair kits for both valve bodies. I think the years of sludge have taken its toll on the valves and possibly the rings might have rotated to align the open ends. A good cleaning, new parts and new mineral oil should have her running like new. Thank you very much.

/ Ferguson TO-20 pto hydaulic problem #8  
i'd also guess upper cyl leak.. or gasket... but observing it under load before pulling it apart would have been the ticket!

Good point about the gasket that seats the upper cyclinder. It was split and broken and an obvious point for a possible leak. It will be new along with the rings. I picked up the tractor last month as a project. I started stipping it down to clean and paint and just got carried away. She's in great shape and runs solid. Aside from the pto problem she only needed a new manifold and exhaust. My gut tells me the valve bodies were worn from the sludge and needed to be replaced as well. Maybe a combination of problems. I'll find out after she gets put back together and I run the pto for a while. I am lucky that the parts are available and not too spendy.

/ Ferguson TO-20 pto hydaulic problem #10  
easy to test the hyds on them old fords and fergy with belly pumps.

you disengage pto, runt he hyd handle up, stick a screwdriver thru the pto then spin it by hand.... it works the pump.. thus lifting the 3pt. lets you check leaks and strength...