Rear axle case (Brakes)

/ Rear axle case (Brakes) #1  

Spidermonkeywrench

Tractor
1975 Ford 7500 backhoe
Just change the rear axle fluid and found my rear brake is leaking a lot if fluid. Anyone familiar with this issue? I cant say as Ive ever seen brakes like this in my life. Maybe I should stick to motorcycles. There is a bolt that threads into a hole on the rear axle (on both sides of the gear housing) and fluid is draining out at about a quart a minute. Not sure if screwing it all the way in will help or exasterbate the issue and Id like to avoid doing donuts if I hit the brakes. Im attaching a pic thats not the greatest but Im pointing at the area.Ling bolt on one end with what looks like a welded washer on the other end. GOD I hope nothing broke (bolt) because my Boss wants his backhoe by Friday and I dont think I can rebuild an entire rear end in 3 days. HELP!!!

leak3.jpg

/ Rear axle case (Brakes) #2  
i'd be pming rickb or whodat... they are more familiar with later fords than i am... especially the industrials.

untill then.. hit the cnh website and pull up an exploded diagram for that axle housing so you can see what you are looking at with xray vision...

/ Rear axle case (Brakes)
I tried Messicks for a part by part list and diagrams. Seems they omitted some items from the list and photos. The part I tried to discribe was the "pull rod nut". it seems to be leaking from the housing that the bolt screws into.

Thanks Soundguy. Im going Superman.

No joy with diagrams. :( I really didnt want to open that beast up but it looks like the only way. Exploratory surgery seems ineveitable.

/ Rear axle case (Brakes) #6  
ugh. I'd deffinately PM rickb or whodat.

I simply havn't been into those new / industrials and will be of minimal help except on common ford -ish stuff that might carry over fromt he older models.

Got this problem fixed. Seems the metal ring came off the rubber seal. Cold chissel and a lot of cussin' got it out. :cool2:

/ Rear axle case (Brakes) #8  
glad you got er fixxed!