Cyl reseal.

/ Cyl reseal. #1  

ky billhilly

Tractor
B series Kubota's
Morning from the hills, I have a problem some of you whiz's on hydralics can help me solve. It's not on a tractor mind you but, I do use it with/for my tractors. I have a benchtop style 10 ton shop press. It uses a powerpak type hand pump and a ten ton cyl. Problem is the seals leak around the rod, well leak may not be a strong enough word. Its more like runs out. I have tried to put it in a big vice and unscrew the cyl but I've had no luck. I'm not sure thats even how it comes apart. Its a NAPA branded item I've had for 20yrs. I'll try to upload a pic later as the day progresses.
thanks. tim

/ Cyl reseal. #2  
Pictures always help, there are several options for holding a cylinder together.

/ Cyl reseal. #3  
ditto what's been said. depending on the cyl or jack style.. MOST of them are made to come apart.

i HAVE seen hermetrically sealed / welded jobs.. but not often.

i rebuild some cheap bottle jacks I find for free at the dump. in most cases some orings from a multi kit and some gear oil instead of jack oil works 100%

i got a free floor jack that way.

still use it. still works 15ys after i got it. worked -0- when I got it...

/ Cyl reseal. #4  
KY Bill Hilly........waiting for pix .....:)

Napa never made their own hydraulic tools/jacks......older ones were Walker.....some were AUSCO (auto specialties co)......some Hein-Werner

Close-up pix are necessary cuz they all come apart differently

I started out in hydraulics at a jack repair shop in the 70's and we worked on all the big brands, they all have their own tricks......I may even have a parts breakdown for what you need (if we can identify)

/ Cyl reseal.
Sorry for the delay, I forgot it was family weekend at my daughters university and I had to take a little trip over the weekend. Yes, I realize NAPA didn't make this Cyl. they don't make anything they only sell their "branded" items. I really hope these images, and [URL="http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww7/mrvair/photo2.jpg"]here, and here, and here.[/URL] can help with identity of the real manufacturer, and help me disassemble and ultimately repair it. The tool marks on cyl. I made by trying to open it up. Thx. guys.

/ Cyl reseal. #6  
Looks to me like it should just unthread. But sometimes getting those gland nuts off can be a real PITA and siezed on there.

Since you are figuring on rebuilding anyway I'd try a little heat around the gland nut. But dont get the heat on the rod and screw up the chrome plating. I would also (before trying heat) take the hydraulic port off the base. Since that is a quick couple type, it seals the inside of the cylinder and you could build pressure when applying the heat, so best to take that off IMO.

/ Cyl reseal. #7  
a hammer and chissle.. or air hammer. usually spins a stuck gland nut off. ont he air hapmmer.. i use a chissle or the pointy one..

/ Cyl reseal. #8  
Looks like you have the Ausco version of the 10 ton ram Model 5-52016

Fasten the base in a good vise, then manually stretch out the ram (you'll be pulling against the return spring internally).....there will be a .250" x 1.375" roll pin just under the threaded head an inch or so.....take out that roll pin while the ram is stretched out......

After the roll pin's out it'll allow you to pull on the threaded head to expose the return spring, slide a skinny screw driver under the spring, then disconnect the threaded head......then let the spring snap back in (you'll use a homemade hook tool to pull it out when you go back together

From here you can unscrew either the head or the base, whichever one comes loose will work, but the base is better to come off cuz it holds the return spring and will allow you to polish up the barrel

I don't have my digital camera at work but will take pix of the service breakdown tonite and send

As far as the u-cup seal, I may have it but will need exact dimensions

/ Cyl reseal. #9  
Oh Yea, don't worry about pipe wrench marks on the base or head , they'll clean up, but don't over do it on the bare barrel...it'll crush (don't go there).....if you need to remove the barrel off the remaining part then you need something to slide in to prevent it from crushing after the ram is out

You will need a rugged vise, bench and pipe wrench (with cheater) to unscrew

/ Cyl reseal. #10  
Here ya go...... 003.jpg004.jpg