Hydraulic cylinder question

/ Hydraulic cylinder question #1  

ferguson123

Silver Member
Tractor
massey ferguson
Hey all, am looking to build a hydraulic cattle scraper similar to the ones in the images below, it uses a hydraulic cylinder to push the central steel beam up and down the floor, which in turn ratchets the scraper up the floor. The only thing am not sure about is how do i get the hydraulic cylinder to to go in and out automatically without me having to do this manually with a spool valve attached in the pipe line?

joxvfz.jpg joxve6.jpg DeLavalslurryscraperDML.jpg

/ Hydraulic cylinder question #2  
How about a solenoid valve with a timer/relay.

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic cylinder question #3  
Are there any pressure switches on this unit?

Limit switches on the cylinder mechanism?

From my feeble memory our manure pump had limit switches to indicate end of stroke so it would auto-cycle.

/ Hydraulic cylinder question #4  
That would be one long cylinder!! Are you sure it is not a motor and a chain? I would use prox switches and a timer to do that, hooked to a hydraulic motor with a drive chain and idler. CJ

/ Hydraulic cylinder question #5  
That would be one long cylinder!! Are you sure it is not a motor and a chain? I would use prox switches and a timer to do that, hooked to a hydraulic motor with a drive chain and idler. CJ

Hello CJ,
no, it isn't a long cylinder, take a look at this video:

Wilco.

/ Hydraulic cylinder question
Ah a ratchet mechanism. I wonder if a chain and a small motor could eliminate some $$$. CJ

i thought a hydraulic cylinder would make it cheaper as i would only need one, if i was using motors i would need two! One at each end, to pull it both ways

/ Hydraulic cylinder question #8  
i thought a hydraulic cylinder would make it cheaper as i would only need one, if i was using motors i would need two! One at each end, to pull it both ways
Actually no, 1 motor hooked to a chain and a idler at the other end. 2 prox switches that reverse a small DO3 valve. CJ