Grapple hook ups

/ Grapple hook ups #1  

johnbarker

Tractor
5010 mahandria
I have a mahindra 5010 with a FEL and I want to hook up a grapple my dearler tryed to sell me a valve setup that would kill the FEL when I was open/closeing grapple, I want to be able to have full use of FEL and grapple at the same time, I relize that it will operate at a slower pace when grapple is in use that ok. first my grapple has 2 cylinders, I was thinking of tying into the hose for FEL where it comes out of hydralic port by adding a 12 volt valve and letting it it return fluid where the FEL dose by tyeing in there too. I want to add a swith onto my joy stick so it will be a one hand operation. I have listed a valve below for surplus center its only a 5GPM valve but i belive this should work. I have looked on here for joy sticks with no luck as to where to purchase one with a switch built into it can someone please point me in the right direction

Thanks John :)

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-7989&catname=hydraulic

/ Grapple hook ups #2  
What your dealer suggested is called a "diverter". There are LOTS of threads here if you search that term. You only loose the dump/curl while your controlling the grapple, its a great cost-effective way to do it.

For independent control, you will need whats refereed to here as a "true 3rd function" valve, or a solenoid spool valve. Again, LOTS of threads, search the word "grapple" here in the hydraulics forum for hours of reading.

The valve you linked will not work. And if by "tyeing" in you mean to add Tee's that won't work either, all valves must be added in series.

WR Long makes kits to do exactly what you want: Valve Kits

Again, there are hundreds of threads on this very subject...

/ Grapple hook ups #3  
You can operate two valves at the same time only if the first valve in series allows some fluid to pass through.

Full application of the first valve lever will use all the fluid the pumps out and the cyl output goes to tank.

/ Grapple hook ups #4  
I only see the 3rd function as being useful for very delicate work where you need grapple and curl. I don't think the tractor is the right tool for that. Either setup is fine but remember you aren't going to run a hydraulic saw or bush hog from your tractor's stock hydraulics which is the only reason I think you would want all 3 functions available.

/ Grapple hook ups
All i want to do is be able to is curl and grapple at the same time, JJ I would tye into hose where it leaves pressure side of sump before the first FEL valve I think this should work like i posted it will slow down FEL during grappling but thats ok.

((Next question dose the FEL valve let the fluid pass thur back to sump untill the joy stick is activated if so then my ideal is over:thumbsup: this just hit me I was thinking about rear hydralics and they spring back to netural to keep from getting hot I dont know if FEL valve dose this or not and the FELis a factory installed one.

I only see the 3rd function as being useful for very delicate work where you need grapple and curl. I don't think the tractor is the right tool for that. Either setup is fine but remember you aren't going to run a hydraulic saw or bush hog from your tractor's stock hydraulics which is the only reason I think you would want all 3 functions available.

/ Grapple hook ups #6  
If you feather the loader or use half lever. then the 3ed function will work dividing the fluid between them.

In a open center hyd system, the fluid flows through all valves with levers in neutral. If a valve is being used, the cyl fluid will go to tank.

/ Grapple hook ups #7  
The valve you have listed 9-7989 is a closed center valve the same valve with an open center is #9-7987.

/ Grapple hook ups #8  
johnbarker ,

Yes, loader/FEL valves are spring center and will return to center, except when you go into float.

Again, you can use both valves at the same time if you don't use all the fluid for the loader/FEL.

All valves in an open center should be in a series configuration. So from your PB port of the FEL, run a hose to the IN port of the 3ed function valve, and the OUT port will go to next valve in series.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?catname=hydraulic&qty=1&item=9-7987

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Instruct/I9-7987.pdf

Last edited:
   / Grapple hook ups #9  
The valve you linked will not work. And if by "tyeing" in you mean to add Tee's that won't work either, all valves must be added in series.

Why would this valve not work?

/ Grapple hook ups #10  
The valve you linked to 9-7989 is a closed center valve, and will not work with your open center system.

When the hyd pump is pumping with this system, the hyd fluid is flowing through all valves in neutral.

The first valve can take all of the pump fluid and leave none for the other valves.

If you use the above open center valve 9-7987, and feather the FEL, then you can activate the grapple at the same time.

You can't tee into a hyd series flow as the fluid will take the path of least resistance.