Good or bad idea, using FEL with one working cylinder on the bucket...

/ Good or bad idea, using FEL with one working cylinder on the bucket... #1  

Big Wave D

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L35, Kubota B6200E
A little back story:

Was using my Kubota L35 to clean up some storm damage to several of my trees. During my use, there was a loud pop/bang from the FEL. The bucket then went to full dump and won't move. I see my right cylinder start to move, then it quits. I haven't opened anything up to know for sure, but my guess is that fluid is bypassing through the left side. The side that the sound came from.

Now, I got lucky once, in that, (almost) the same thing happened several years ago, but in that case the bolt had come of the end of the cylinder rod and the piston was free inside. I am pretty sure that will not be the case this time. Something surely snapped judging by the sound I heard.

1.) I don't have the money to repair what is mostly likely broken inside, at the moment; therefore, I would take the bad cylinder off and cap both the hydraulic lines, ending the present bypassing problem. Because, I'd like to use the bucket for some light loader work, i.e. haul some cut and split firewood and a few other very light duty chores. Does anyone see anything horribly wrong with this idea?

2.) I guess this brings up a second question, caps. What style and threading are correct for my hose ends?

Since this is their factory TLB and therefore overly built for commercial use, I guess I don't really see how I could be doing my FEL any real harm. If I am not thinking of something, please let me know.

Thanks to all in advance for your thoughts and advice on the matter.

/ Good or bad idea, using FEL with one working cylinder on the bucket... #2  
i suppose its possible to torque the one side a little too much on one side with a heavy load. The other side lift cylinder wont be there to keep the frame straigt. But with light work such as firewood personally i wouldnt worry about it. Like i said though " I " wouldnt worry about it.

/ Good or bad idea, using FEL with one working cylinder on the bucket...
shortthrow50,

I agree about the torquing issue, but, like I said, I am not trying to dig a basement with it in its present condition.

I just need the convenience of the bucket at the moment.

Do you know what kind of caps I might use and the thread needed?

Thanks

/ Good or bad idea, using FEL with one working cylinder on the bucket... #4  
I'm no expert, but fear that doing what you suggest starts down a road of using equipment with known problem that can result in even more damage and ultimately more expense than a fix. Go ahead and take cylinder off, take it apart, see what is wrong...may not be as bad as you fear.

In another thread, there are accidents discussed which started with a defective component and resulted in serious injury in one case, death in another. Doesn't always end that way, but it can....In your case, you would be putting firewood in a bucket that is just one busted cylinder away from a catastrophic failure. It's happened twice now, Would hate to see that happen and bucket fall on you.

/ Good or bad idea, using FEL with one working cylinder on the bucket... #5  
shortthrow50,

I agree about the torquing issue, but, like I said, I am not trying to dig a basement with it in its present condition.

I just need the convenience of the bucket at the moment.

Do you know what kind of caps I might use and the thread needed?

Thanks

i dont know for your machine unfortunatey. i had to get some caps for my hoe at work a month ago and wound up having to bring in one of the lines to match up at the local hydraulics shop. I have one 2 minutes down the road fortunately

/ Good or bad idea, using FEL with one working cylinder on the bucket...
texasjohn,

I am all for safety as well. I appreciate your input. It is always something to keep in mind.

I don't work under my bucket both cylinders are working correctly, so I am definitely not going to start with only the one.

Thanks again.

/ Good or bad idea, using FEL with one working cylinder on the bucket... #7  
I wouldnt do it. Too great of a chance at really messing something up.

AND, just FYI, it will cut your lifting capacity by WAY more than half. You might fine that you wouldnt even be able to pick much up at all, AND given what YOU think is a light load, that one working cylinder is working at its MAX just to lift what you think is a small load.

Example: (and these are just simple and rounded off numbers but still make the point)

Lets say you have a loader rated to lift 2500#. BUT, the cylinders ACTUALLY have to apply 4000# of force cause of the weight of the bucket and loader itself. So each cylinder is capapable of 2000# max. BUT...it takes 1500 of that JUST to raise the weight of the loader and bucket. So now your 2500# loader can barley muster 500#

Again, that is just an example but you get the idea.

Also, what is the harm in tearing into the cylinder? That dont cost anything and who knows...it may be $20 worth of parts?? Are you really wanting to risk it for $20 worth of parts??

/ Good or bad idea, using FEL with one working cylinder on the bucket... #8  
Big Wave, glad you are safety aware...great...be safe out there.

/ Good or bad idea, using FEL with one working cylinder on the bucket... #9  
Where are you Big Wave (hint: hint: fill in that profile)?

If you are close to me I will help diagnose/repair that cylinder for you for a cold sweet tea.

/ Good or bad idea, using FEL with one working cylinder on the bucket... #10  
Perhaps if you used a ratchet strap to tie it in place and didn't try to dig with it would be OK.

Otherwise as others said what you think is lite duty might severely break or bend something.