New Hydraulic top link build

/ New Hydraulic top link build #1  

bubbacuse77

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 3520, John Deere X749
I thought I would post some images of the Hydraulic top link I made from a 9.75" x 2.5" cylinder I bought from surplus center for cheap. I figure I saved at least $200 dollars because I almost bought one but figured I couldn't live with myself after I spent all this money on welders and metal working equipment. Here is what I have in it.

Cylinder-$82 w/shipping
Cat 1 weld on ends-$21
hydraulic fittings and hose-$36
dust caps-$18 (JD- this is why they are so expensive but I can't find 1/4" caps anywhere else)

Total- $157
View attachment 284959View attachment 284956View attachment 284957View attachment 284958View attachment 284955

Attachments

• Toplink done.jpg
    Toplink done.jpg
    441.8 KB · Views: 1,315
  • Toplink prime.jpg
    Toplink prime.jpg
    553.7 KB · Views: 409
  • toplink top.jpg
    toplink top.jpg
    426.2 KB · Views: 1,373
  • Toplink side.jpg
    Toplink side.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 4,016
Last edited:
   / New Hydraulic top link build
Sorry for the small pictures, l sent them from my phone to my computer and it looks like it auto re sized them.

fixed the pictures

/ New Hydraulic top link build #5  
Looks impressive. Is it a replacement for a turn buckle top link? I'm new to tractors and so on a steep learning curve.

/ New Hydraulic top link build #6  
great job...for others who might want to copy your approach...might comment on how you decided what length to use, expanded and compressed.

great job...for others who might want to copy your approach...might comment on how you decided what length to use, expanded and compressed.

I picked a length that as closely mimicked the size of my factory top link in the full open and closed position. I just need to install a hanger for when it is not attached to anything.

/ New Hydraulic top link build #9  
good info, thanks...I might add that if someone is adding a Pat's system at the same time, likely the hydraulic cylinder would need to be somewhat longer than the current manual top link...at least consider that need.

It will be, because it is hard to find a cylinder that is 2.5" and that short. Mine is about an inch longer all retracted than my factory screw type toplink.