Oil Filter used for Hydraulic filter?

/ Oil Filter used for Hydraulic filter? #1  

Noodlez914

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 1023e
Hey everyone.

Although this question is not Tractor related, it is still hydraulic related. Decided to give my log splitter an oil change today as well as change the hydraulic filter. Ran to the local NAPA, showed them the filter, they cross referenced it and handed me the one that will work. Got home and realized it was an oil filter. Called them, they assured me it matched the same specs as the filter I showed them. I ended up putting the newly purchased oil filter on but my question is....

Should I be concerned about keeping this on? Is there a difference between Hydraulic filters and oil filters. I would assume so since they sell both but I will I get by with this one until next season?

/ Oil Filter used for Hydraulic filter? #2  
What is the micron rating of both? I would go to a hydraulic shop and get the proper filter. Typical NAPA.

/ Oil Filter used for Hydraulic filter?
WilliamBos said:
What is the micron rating of both? I would go to a hydraulic shop and get the proper filter. Typical NAPA.

They are both 10 micron.

/ Oil Filter used for Hydraulic filter? #5  
hyd fluid is oil.... both are oil filters.. :)

i have also seen crossover applications like that...

/ Oil Filter used for Hydraulic filter?
Actually did a little searching around last night online. Appears Hydraulic fluid flows through the filter with a lot more pressure then engine oil does. Hmmm wonder if a hydraulic filter is rated to withstand more pressure.

/ Oil Filter used for Hydraulic filter? #8  
Actually did a little searching around last night online. Appears Hydraulic fluid flows through the filter with a lot more pressure then engine oil does. Hmmm wonder if a hydraulic filter is rated to withstand more pressure.

The filter is on the return side.