Tractor
    820 ,1520,1020 (D) 1020 (G) 1050,4020

Default No power steering after Replacing a seal in steering column ?

-dsc02895-jpg-dsc02890-jpg-dsc02894-jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]286832[/ATTAC

My power steering was leaking from a bad seal located just below the valve body. When I removed the body ( has 3 bolts holding it) it contains ball bearings, springs and
    small valves. Springs and ball bearings attach to these valves that have ports in them, they all fit inside this body.

After sorting everything out I finally put it back together and installed a new seal (which was the cause of the leak) and bolted it back together. I filled the reservoir with
    power steering fluid, started the tractor and looked for leaks. No leaks AND NO POWER STEERING.

What could have happened ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The tractor is a FORD 3000 DIESEL W/ HI/LO TRANSMISSION built in the late 60s to 1975
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dsc02886-jpg  

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Default Re: No power steering after Replacing a seal in steering column ?

you MUST have gottent he springs and balls back in 100% correctly.

user whodat, Ultradog or rickb can help with the PS balls.

otherwise.. if you DID get them in correctly.. you may simply need to keep filling and turning wheel lock to lock to get air out.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by duke7595 View Post
    -dsc02895-jpg-dsc02890-jpg-dsc02894-jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]286832[/ATTAC

My power steering was leaking from a bad seal located just below the valve body. When I removed the body ( has 3 bolts holding it) it contains ball bearings, springs and
    small valves. Springs and ball bearings attach to these valves that have ports in them, they all fit inside this body.

After sorting everything out I finally put it back together and installed a new seal (which was the cause of the leak) and bolted it back together. I filled the reservoir with
    power steering fluid, started the tractor and looked for leaks. No leaks AND NO POWER STEERING.

What could have happened ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The tractor is a FORD 3000 DIESEL W/ HI/LO TRANSMISSION built in the late 60s to 1975
    Have a look at the photo.

Set your block so the fitting is on your right side. That's the starboard side for you land lubbers. See the yellow pencil.

There are two types of plungers in the block. I call them the special plungers and the plain plungers.

Notice the green pencil. That is the hole where the two special plungers and two balls go. All the rest of the holes get two plain plungers with a spring in the middle.

Additional clarification from ultradogMN:

If you set the block onto the steering column just like it sits in the picture you could load it from the top.

On the 3 holes with the plain plungers you would load the bottom plunger, then a spring, then the second plunger.

The special plungers have 'horns' on one end. So you would load that hole with the first plunger horns up, then the two balls, then the second plunger horns down. There is no spring in that hole.

One other thing I should mention; The spool in the center of the valve does have a top and a bottom. On the inside of the spool there is a slight groove machined on one end. That end goes up."

OK, you may also have crossed your hydraulic lines to the cylinders. I wrote the following procedure to check if you have this problem:

Regarding plumbing of your power steering system:

Your power steering valve has two connection ports for the PS cylinders on each side. An UPPER/FORWARD and a LOWER/AFT connection.

Your cylinders should have two connections facing up. An INSIDE and an OUTSIDE connection.

The UPPER/FORWARD conn on the PS valve connects to the INSIDE conn of respective cylinders.

The LOWER/AFT conn on the PS valve connects to the OUTSIDE conn of respective cylinders.

Use a 7/16" Flare Nut Wrench on these connectors (to avoid rounding off the nuts).

The tubes have DOUBLE FLARE Connections. Sometimes they develop cracks/leaks, and have to be re-done. Buy a kit and do these yourself, as a shop charges too much. Double flare kits are about $40

Hope this all makes sense to you. Let me know if you have problems.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...g?t=1321395543

If anyone has this same problem use the above information, it worked like a charm.

Duke

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    you MUST have gottent he springs and balls back in 100% correctly.

user whodat, Ultradog or rickb can help with the PS balls.

otherwise.. if you DID get them in correctly.. you may simply need to keep filling and turning wheel lock to lock to get air out.

Thanks for trying to help me. I wanted to let you know I found a guy who who straighted things out for me , I left a post for anyone else who may have the same problem.

Sincerely,
    Duke