Ford 3000 hydraulic tap for log splitter

/ Ford 3000 hydraulic tap for log splitter #1  

fnorm

Tractor
Ford 3000
Building a log splitter. Have all assembled with 4X24 ram and control valve. Now wondering if I can drive the splitter off the hydraulic from my Ford 3000 tractor? It does not currently have any way I can see to tap into the system. Anyone know how and if the tractor pump will drive the ram?

/ Ford 3000 hydraulic tap for log splitter #2  
   / Ford 3000 hydraulic tap for log splitter
I have all hoses supply and return. Have tried to use my John Deere 330 but pressure is not enough. So now looking at the Ford 3000. Just trying to split wood for use at home. Slow is acceptable. I have a control valve in the system. Don,t know what a FEL is. Could it be a pressure relief valve? I don,t have one in the system. Have read somewhere that the Ford 3000 top plate can be drilled and tapped for the pressure takeoff? Do you know where I could get instructions? Have already had it off and can see oil passages that could be the source.

/ Ford 3000 hydraulic tap for log splitter #4  
FEL = Front End Loader

/ Ford 3000 hydraulic tap for log splitter
Thanks JJ, I was thinking about the log splitter and FEL didn't click. I type faster than I think! No the tractor does not have a FEL or power steering. The 'cover' plate is the standard w/o any taps. When I removed the cover plate I could see two chambers. I think I will drill and tap into one of the chambers then if it is not the pressure chamber I will plug and drill the other. Thanks for the info.

/ Ford 3000 hydraulic tap for log splitter #6  
Seems like someone mentioned something about an adapter plate that would mount under the cover plate to provide a couple of ports.

Anybody remember this discussion.

/ Ford 3000 hydraulic tap for log splitter #7  
I thought the old fords used the same system as Massey. The stand pipe manifold that sits on top of the lift cover normally has a screw that can be removed to divert fluid out. If not there should be a replacement manifold that can be used on the stand pipe to pump fluid out to your added line.

/ Ford 3000 hydraulic tap for log splitter #8  
   / Ford 3000 hydraulic tap for log splitter #9  
Hate to discourage anyone but there were not many people who ever raved about there being enough hydraulic power with that series or grouping of tractors. Most brought there tractor mounted units back in to be replaced with the gas engine units.

/ Ford 3000 hydraulic tap for log splitter #10  
Hate to discourage anyone but there were not many people who ever raved about there being enough hydraulic power with that series or grouping of tractors. Most brought there tractor mounted units back in to be replaced with the gas engine units.

Now that you mention it , my uncle even said his 9600 ford didn't run his wood splitter so well he got a gas one also.