Hydraulic Ciruit : Using rear remote to tie into another control valve

/ Hydraulic Ciruit : Using rear remote to tie into another control valve #1  

indianaEPH

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M59
Ok, sorry for the confusing title but I need to understand if what I'm contimplating is possible.

I have purchased a old TS44 tree spade. It has a small gas engine and hydraulic pump. The engine, and probably the pump, are shot.

Rather than replacing the engine and pump I thought I would connect the spade hydraulic system tp my tractors haydraulics using the rear remotes on my tractor. The tractor rear remotes are described as "4 position double acting remote hydraulic control valve assembly" I guess the 4 positions are forward, reverse, detent and neutral.

The question I have is can I connect the hydraulic system of the TS44 to the tractor remotes. I'm thinking that I would use one aux port as the pump output and other port as the pump return. Does this make any sense?

Thanks for anyone who can take on this question.

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic Ciruit : Using rear remote to tie into another control valve #2  
If the valve on the tree spade is open center hyd system, and your tractor is open center hyd system, you should be good to go.

/ Hydraulic Ciruit : Using rear remote to tie into another control valve
Yes, they are both open center. Thanks JJ. I thought that this would be possible but I wanted to get the advise of an expert like yourself.

Thanks again.

/ Hydraulic Ciruit : Using rear remote to tie into another control valve #4  
You may want to add a check valve in the return line to prevent accidental reversing of the hoses. Putting pressure in the tank line of the valve stack on your spade would probably blow some seals.

/ Hydraulic Ciruit : Using rear remote to tie into another control valve #5  
Next question would be "Does the tractor supply enough volume to make the spade work at acceptable cycle time and have high enough pressure setting to force the spades in the ground and lift the ball?" A couple hoses and some fittings to try and if it works great, if not you're not out much. Rather than buy new engine and pump, I would think about a PTO pump with hoses to reach ther tractor and run off the spades hydraulic system.

/ Hydraulic Ciruit : Using rear remote to tie into another control valve #6  
M-59 = 26.7 GPM and the pressure should be sufficient.

Implement Pump Output 16.1 GPM

You may want to add a check valve in the return line to prevent accidental reversing of the hoses. Putting pressure in the tank line of the valve stack on your spade would probably blow some seals.

Good point. I will do that. thanks oldnslo

SSdoxie

I think I have plenty of flow and pressure, I see JJ hit this point.

I have thought about the PTO pump. The reason I'm leaning toward using the tractor hydraulic system is that at some point I will replace the spade engine and pump so that it is self sufficient. using the tractor hydraulic allows me to work the spade for my immediate needs. When I have the time I can install an engine and pump.

/ Hydraulic Ciruit : Using rear remote to tie into another control valve #9  
indianaEPH ,

What was the HP of the engine on the tree spade, or do you know the pump capacity as to GPM and pressure.?

You can figure out the size of the hyd pump by the HP assuming 3000 psi.

I found the data on the tree spade.

That tree spade had a 16 HP Kohler or Wisconsin engine on it, and probably an 8 GPM pump, so your tractor hyd should power the tree spade quite well.

Is this similar to your tree spade?

VERMEER TS44 Portable Tree Spade Equipment Details for Sale | Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers

Here is a pic of a trailer unit with a Kohler 20 HP engine.

Attachments

• misc200.jpg
    misc200.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
JJ

Yes, that is the same unit. Mine is older and I think it has a 12hp Wisconsin.