How many types of remote hydraulic valves are there?

/ How many types of remote hydraulic valves are there? #1  

PandDLong

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3540, JD Z445 Mower, JD LX188 Lawn Tractor
On my new Kubota L3540, I ordered two OEM rear remotes. It arrived with two different valves (not what I ordered but that's a different story) and I assume it is one of each type that Kubota lists as options - Double Acting and Float Detente (I assume this but don't know).

My issue is that neither one operates the way I was hoping.

1. Has a spring action and when released returns to neutral. Nice feathering ability. No float.
2. Has detentes in both directions and will return to neutral when the cylinder reaches the end of travel (or I push it back to neutral). Feathering not going to happen. Doesn't seem to have float.

How many different types of valves are there?

More importantly is there one that will: have the spring action and return to neutral to allow feathering but then have a detente float position if it is pushed all the way in one direction? This is what I was expecting and - to me - seems like a standard loader valve action (thinking of the pre-joystick era loaders). My quest for such a valve, particularly with the float capability, was inspired by all of the great advice on the forum saying "get float". Should this type of valve be easy to find?

Last, but not least, if Kubota doesn't have such a valve, can an alternative brand be installed in the same place as the OEM or does it need a new mount?

Thanks in advance for helping solve my dilemma.

/ How many types of remote hydraulic valves are there? #2  
Yes, you can build up a stacked valved to suit your needs.

There are many options here.

Surplus Center - 4 SPOOL SV VALVE OPEN CENTER W/POWER BEYOND

Select what you need.

Inlet and Outlet sections have dual ports for either top or side plumbing. Sectional design lets you get the exact valve components and configuration required for your application. Each section has load checks.

There are add on float valves also.

/ How many types of remote hydraulic valves are there? #3  
Are looking to add sections/valves to your existing stack or adding another whole complet valve assembly in a different location?

If a new two- spool valve assembly in a different location you can purchase what are called "loader valves" that are all one piece and have the functions you are requesting. Some would also include the joy stick.

Companies like Brand Hydraulics or Prince Hydraulics, Husco International, etc all make valves like this. Husco will probably be the most expensive but also probably thebest valve on the market.

I believe surplus center carries Brand hydraulics.

A True "Loader Valve" should have the following features but most of them don't say this on there sales brochure.
Spool options:
4-way 3-position spring centered Bucket control or boom control
4-way 4-position spring centered with regen 4th position is regen also used for bucket control. Regen can be detent or soft shift which is just a higher resistance is felt when going to regen
4-way 4-position spring centered with float 4th position float and is usually detented.

Metering notches: provide the feathering characteristics.
Meter-out spools: These meter oil oil out of the cylinder. This helps control the run-away or over hanging loads in loader applications
Load checks: These are in the pressure galley feeding the spool. They prevent the FEL from dropping until pressure builds in the pressure to gally.

Power Beyond option

/ How many types of remote hydraulic valves are there? #4  
On my new Kubota L3540, I ordered two OEM rear remotes. It arrived with two different valves (not what I ordered but that's a different story) and I assume it is one of each type that Kubota lists as options - Double Acting and Float Detente (I assume this but don't know).

My issue is that neither one operates the way I was hoping.

1. Has a spring action and when released returns to neutral. Nice feathering ability. No float.
2. Has detentes in both directions and will return to neutral when the cylinder reaches the end of travel (or I push it back to neutral). Feathering not going to happen. Doesn't seem to have float.

How many different types of valves are there?

More importantly is there one that will: have the spring action and return to neutral to allow feathering but then have a detente float position if it is pushed all the way in one direction? This is what I was expecting and - to me - seems like a standard loader valve action (thinking of the pre-joystick era loaders). My quest for such a valve, particularly with the float capability, was inspired by all of the great advice on the forum saying "get float". Should this type of valve be easy to find?

Last, but not least, if Kubota doesn't have such a valve, can an alternative brand be installed in the same place as the OEM or does it need a new mount?

Thanks in advance for helping solve my dilemma.

Your # 1 spool is what comes as the first spool when not specified with the order.
Your # 2 spool is an SCD (self canceling detent) and should be able to be feathered. What is strange is that it is not even offered for your tractor. :confused3:

I would go back to the dealer and see about getting both valves replaced with the float detent valves. When you ordered the remote valves, you SHOULD have been asked if you wanted double acting or float detent. Those are the 2 types of valves that are offed for your tractor.

Good luck ;)

/ How many types of remote hydraulic valves are there?
J.J. - wow! Through that web-link, there were 14 different valve types not including the addition of a float valve to it. The more I look, the more I see the complexity of hydraulics and the innovation/creativity that is possible if one is handy with hydraulics (which I am not).

Oldnslo - thanks for the info and descriptions of loader valves.

Brian - When I ordered the remotes with the tractor, I did ask for two of the 'float detent' that Kubota offers. Obviously, it got delivered with something different, and since neither worked as I had hoped I was worried that asking the dealer to just fix it to match my order would give me two of one of these valves and still not be what I want. So is a 'Float Detent' the valve which has a spring-to-centre/neutral in each direction but then a float detent position at one end of lever travel?

So what is a SCD (self-cancelling detent) used for - it seems like it should be a good choice for tools using a reciprocating hydraulic action - e.g. post pounder or wood splitter - is that right? Perhaps I should get the implement to match the valve I got by accident. :)

/ How many types of remote hydraulic valves are there? #6  
Hyd valve selection is not difficult if you know what the attachment is supposed to do and then get the valve/spools that operates the attachment.

The stacked valves allow you to tailor make the valve to suit your application.

With the stacked valve you can add more sections, change out sections to make the valve to do what you want.

Most people want float.

Float is a detent that will lock the lever in position so the bucket will float, and follow the contour of the ground. To release the float, pull back on the lever and it will spring back to neutral.

Some want a detent to keep the fluid flowing to the attachment.

You can rig up as many valve sets as you like as long as you follow the series path of hyd flow using open center hyd system.

If you should have closed center hyd, than you would have to follow closed center rules.

Lay out your proposed hyd flow on paper and see if things are logical, and doable within a certain budget.

/ How many types of remote hydraulic valves are there? #7  
J.J. - wow! Through that web-link, there were 14 different valve types not including the addition of a float valve to it. The more I look, the more I see the complexity of hydraulics and the innovation/creativity that is possible if one is handy with hydraulics (which I am not).

Oldnslo - thanks for the info and descriptions of loader valves.

Brian - When I ordered the remotes with the tractor, I did ask for two of the 'float detent' that Kubota offers. Obviously, it got delivered with something different, and since neither worked as I had hoped I was worried that asking the dealer to just fix it to match my order would give me two of one of these valves and still not be what I want. So is a 'Float Detent' the valve which has a spring-to-centre/neutral in each direction but then a float detent position at one end of lever travel?

So what is a SCD (self-cancelling detent) used for - it seems like it should be a good choice for tools using a reciprocating hydraulic action - e.g. post pounder or wood splitter - is that right? Perhaps I should get the implement to match the valve I got by accident. :)

An SCD pops out of the detent & goes to neutral once the cylinder has reached the end of it's stroke. Great for some things, ( wings on a bat wing mower come to mind) not so much for others. I would have thought that you would have been able to feather it, but I guess that the Kubota units don't allow that. :(

I would go back to the dealer and pretty much insist on having the two valves with the float function as you had requested when you ordered the tractor.

Good luck ;)