slow log splitter

/ slow log splitter #1  

KubotainNH

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B6100
Hi folks, recently my FIL picked up a home made logsplitter. After doing some modifications on how the motor/pump was ghetto mounted it now runs pretty good. The thing that bugs me is how slow it is to extend. The pump is a 2 speed 11gpm Haldex running a 4" cylinder. Attached to the pump is a 6.5hp vertical shaft B/S motor. The 2 hoses that carry most of the pressure have been replaced and are decent sized. The fluid coming back does not appear to have bubbles. The pump feed hose also looks big and seems fine. According to a hydro calculator it should run 202" a minute, it's no where close. It does seem to slow down when it hits the wood and it pushes right on through. The gauge hits about 500 when it gets under load. When maxing out the cylinder (accidentally) I saw the gauge go up to 3k and the motor bog so it can build some big pressure. Any thoughts on what to check?

I've perused many posts and haven't noticed anything they've mentioned as issues. I'll add some pics soon. Thanks.

/ slow log splitter
Here's a picture of the beast. Thx.

IMG-20121117-00159.jpg

/ slow log splitter #3  
At 11 GPM and low pressure, your extend speed should be around 7 sec, at 3.4 IPM

I suspect you are running in the low GPM mode and high pressure, or something else is wrong.

At 3.4 GPM and high pressure, your extend speed should be around 24 sec, at 1 IPM.

Is your engine running at max rpm.

Is the love-joy coupler loose on the engine to pump? Are the filters clean and not obstructed, or reversed?

Is it a return filter or input filter?

Is the IN hose and OUT hose reversed?

Can you make a video of the cycle time?

/ slow log splitter #4  
Can you show a better picture of the IN port and A port fittings?

/ slow log splitter #5  
Can you show a better picture of the IN port and A port fittings?

Leejohn, are you thinking of a restrictive fitting on the input hose, and the cyl fitting?

Maybe he should remove those fittings and look through them.

/ slow log splitter #6  
Yes and with the picture not being clear they look small. I had hoses made for my small dump trailor and they put a fitting on, the hole was less then 1/8". I have sa cyls, just put it on the down side so it worked out good.

/ slow log splitter
I'll get some close ups, not so sure about a video. The motor speed is on high but I'm sure I could make it rev higher but don't see that making a huge difference. The filter is on the return to the reservoir. Coupler is new and tight. I was thinking about removing the pressure hose from the valve and measuring output. I assume it should fill a gallon container in about 6 seconds seeing it's 11gpm. Thanks for the replies.

/ slow log splitter #8  
I had almost the identical problem with my home made splitter. Finally discovered that there was a strainer, on the suction line, inside the tank, that was partially plugged. Removed it, and it works great. I read somewhere that if there is a suction line strainer/filter, throw it as far as you can.

/ slow log splitter
I read that thread, I don't think this one has a strainer but I could be wrong. More stuff to check.

/ slow log splitter
Here's some closeups of the valve and hoses attached. They look to be as big as the fittings allow.

splitter1.jpgsplitter2.jpg