Top link cylinder gauge?

/ Top link cylinder gauge? #1  

Curtis Gray

Tractor
Kubota MX5100
I just recently received and installed my top link cylinder for my MX5100 from Brian at Fit-Rite. Works very well, and Im pleased.

I'm interested in being able to reposition the cylinder rod to the exact position that I was using it. In other words, when I attach my rotary cutter and adjust it to the proper position with the top link, then unhook and readjust the top link for a different implement, is there a way to return the top link to the exact position for using the shredder a different time without leaving the tractor seat? Perhaps a gauge of some sort?

Thanks.

Curtis

/ Top link cylinder gauge? #2  
Curtis, I have a few ideas but need to know what your DIY abilities are - cutting, shaping, welding, none of the above? Once I know more, I can do a basic sketch or two, something I'm planning for my own TnT setup... Steve

/ Top link cylinder gauge? #3  
I just recently received and installed my top link cylinder for my MX5100 from Brian at Fit-Rite. Works very well, and Im pleased.

I'm interested in being able to reposition the cylinder rod to the exact position that I was using it. In other words, when I attach my rotary cutter and adjust it to the proper position with the top link, then unhook and readjust the top link for a different implement, is there a way to return the top link to the exact position for using the shredder a different time without leaving the tractor seat? Perhaps a gauge of some sort?

Thanks.

Curtis

Here is a very simple way, not saying the best but VERY simple. Use a metal coat hanger ( IF you can find one) or some gas welding rod would be better. A small diameter short piece of some sort of tubing.
Have the top link fully extended.
Hose clamp the tubing onto the cylinder end where the rod comes out.
Bend a loop in the wire so that it will go around the top link pin at the implement end.
Have the wire go up and through the tubing an inch or so. Cut to this length.

Now you have an indicator wire on your top link. Use some sort of markings to let you know where the rod needs to be for what implement. You could use tape, or a paint marker, whatever.

This is a very simple version, and could easily be modified to be of much much better quality. Hopefully you get the idea though. ;)

/ Top link cylinder gauge?
Here is a very simple way, not saying the best but VERY simple. Use a metal coat hanger ( IF you can find one) or some gas welding rod would be better. A small diameter short piece of some sort of tubing.
Have the top link fully extended.
Hose clamp the tubing onto the cylinder end where the rod comes out.
Bend a loop in the wire so that it will go around the top link pin at the implement end.
Have the wire go up and through the tubing an inch or so. Cut to this length.

Now you have an indicator wire on your top link. Use some sort of markings to let you know where the rod needs to be for what implement. You could use tape, or a paint marker, whatever.

This is a very simple version, and could easily be modified to be of much much better quality. Hopefully you get the idea though. ;)

Brian,

Perfect, Thanks.

Curtis, I have a few ideas but need to know what your DIY abilities are - cutting, shaping, welding, none of the above? Once I know more, I can do a basic sketch or two, something I'm planning for my own TnT setup... Steve

Steve,

Limited metal skills, but I got the basic idea from Brian. I certainly welcome any and all ideas to make it stronger/better. Thanks for the reply!

Curtis

/ Top link cylinder gauge? #6  
You could use limit switches to activate an LED to signal a set adjustment.

You can use as many switches as needed to represent 1/2 in , 1 in, etc.

When set, an LED light will indicate a setting point.

A reed switch and a magnet could be used to indicate a set position. Just slide the magnet to the position you want, and the reed switch will open or close at that position.

I have also used a chain to set the correct working height.

Last edited:
   / Top link cylinder gauge? #7  
Mine is somewhere in between Brian's and JJ's (more like Brians) which is kinda weird, since I normally WAY over-engineer stuff :=)

/ Top link cylinder gauge? #8  
Brain's idea seems simple and affective. Similar to the bucket level indicator on an FEL. You could use differnt colors of paint on the rod for each implement and if you forget which color is for which implement, spray a spot of the same color paint on the corresponding implement.

Brain's idea seems simple and affective. Similar to the bucket level indicator on an FEL. You could use differnt colors of paint on the rod for each implement and if you forget which color is for which implement, spray a spot of the same color paint on the corresponding implement.

Already, built, painted and installed on the tractor. Took all of about 30 minutes. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Curtis