Can't disconnect JD grapple lines

/ Can't disconnect JD grapple lines #1  

JimBoy

Tractor
John Deere 3720
Hi all. This is my first post... I have a new JD 3720 with a grapple. The grapple works great, but I cannot get one of the lines disconnected. I'm afraid to try and force it with channel locks because I don't know if it is under pressure. I tried pushing in the nipple on the line that does disconnect to bleed a little fluid. I tried turning the key on (not starting it) turning on the electric diverter and playing with the buttons to relieve pressure. Any ideas? I have a delivery coming on Monday morning and need to get my pallet forks on!

--Jim

/ Can't disconnect JD grapple lines #2  
Welcome. Turn the engine OFF, then turn the key ON so you have power to the 3rd SCV solenoid, and then move the joystick around and operate the button, that should release the pressure.

/ Can't disconnect JD grapple lines
Hi. Thanks for the quick reply. I have tried this... Perhaps the collar is just stuck (it will not rotate or release)b

--Jim

/ Can't disconnect JD grapple lines #4  
Some QD's have a locking collar.

There is usually not a problem disconnecting QD's.

If the sleeve will not turn, or push/pull, you may have a defective QD.

/ Can't disconnect JD grapple lines #5  
Mine has a small ball bearing that matches up to a cutout in the pull sleeve. If they are not lined up, it will not let the sleeve slide far enough to release.

/ Can't disconnect JD grapple lines #6  
I have a grapple and had the same problem... There is nothing wrong with your quick connects.

What I do is go to the rear of the tractor and locate my SCV. I then take a flat head screw driver and place the end just on the collar of the quick connect. I then start tapping the screw driver until I start to seeing the collar moving. Eventually, the hose pops out with some force (along with some oil). I usually wrap a rag around the SVC when I'm doing this. Next, with the hoses in hand, I wrap a rag around the end, covering the nipple. If you push on the nipple, it won't push in because there is still preasure on the hoses. Next, I pick up a hammer and tap the nipple with it. A bunch of oil will start to soak the rag. I usually do this several times. When some of the preasure is relieved, I hold the nipple in with the head of the hammer. I have soaked half a rag a few times doing this. When all the oil is in the rag and out of the hoses, the quick connects pop out and plug in with no problems. Hope this helps!

/ Can't disconnect JD grapple lines
Thanks GreatLakes37! It went down exactly as you described -- problem solved. Tapping collars and nipples does not seem ideal, but nothing else worked.

--Jim