Top-Link - how to get the benefits of both DPCV and Float?

/ Top-Link - how to get the benefits of both DPCV and Float? #1  

PandDLong

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3540, JD Z445 Mower, JD LX188 Lawn Tractor
I recently received my new Kubota L3540 and, based on all the great info on TBN, I ordered a hydraulic top-link and rear remotes with float. Unfortunately, I didn't do enough reading - and my dealer didn't pose any questions or offer advice - so I wasn't anymore specific in my order than just that.

What I received is a hydraulic top-link with DPCV and (after some rework with the dealer) a valve with float. Now that I've read every thread about DPCV, I believe that this is a useless combination.

However, after reading all those threads I'm pretty sure that sometimes I will want DPCV features and sometimes I will want float. Since I have both in my possession - is there any way to be able to use the feature I want when I want it? i.e Is there a way to "turn-off" the DPCV when I want to float?

Or is this an impossible ask and I really need to pick one or the other? Or buy another top-link and swap them based on my needs at the time?

I love hydraulics when they work, but it can a tangled web of information and optins for an amateur...

/ Top-Link - how to get the benefits of both DPCV and Float? #2  
It is not realistic to be able to use both. While it could be done, it would be bulky and costly. The sad thing is that you did not get a Kubota top link when you ordered from a Kubota dealer. :( Although it is my understanding that Kubota only sells complete "TnT" kits for the L series at this time. ;)

How I look at it is being able to have & use the float function far outweighs the positive locking that the DPOCV gets you. If your control valve leaks down bad enough that the amount of drift affects your grading, then the valve needs to be rebuilt or replaced. If you are farming, then use the manual adjusted link. People ask me about this all the time. I get asked if my valves leak, yes they do. They leak down at a rate of just under 3/16" per hour and that is with a 1000lb implement hanging on the hitch up in the air. That is 30 thousandths of an inch every 10 minutes and when you are grading, it is very seldom that you will go more than that between adjustments. I'm not sure about everyone else, but 30 thousandths is plenty close enough for me.

Just my :2cents:

/ Top-Link - how to get the benefits of both DPCV and Float? #3  
Mtn View, I just had the other remote added to my Kioti and the service guy it won't do float. What can I do to make it float?

/ Top-Link - how to get the benefits of both DPCV and Float? #4  
In my experience, float can't work with cross port checks, but float can make cross-port checks work.

Almost always in industrial hydraulics, if there are cross port checks, they are meant to be the most leak proof member of the circuit, but to make sure the checks close, pressure needs to be relieved from both pilots. So regardless of whether the system is open or closed center, A and B are sent to T to make sure the pilots are relieved and the checks do close. Your float position can send A and B to T, overcoming at least that problem even if the actual checks do preclude the possibility of actual float action.

/ Top-Link - how to get the benefits of both DPCV and Float? #5  
Mtn View, I just had the other remote added to my Kioti and the service guy it won't do float. What can I do to make it float?

Unfortunately I am not really familiar with the OEM remote :ashamed: other than I know that Kioti does indeed have a remote valve for the DK series that does have the float function with it.
So you are sure that the lever only has 3 positions? It will not go past the up-down position? Did you order the 2nd valve with the float function? If the Dealer was aware that you wanted the float function, it seems like that is what you should be getting? If not, well, it may cost you to get it switched out. :(

I am very sorry that I can't really help you out. :(

/ Top-Link - how to get the benefits of both DPCV and Float? #6  
I'm curious and my ignorance on the topic got the best of me...

What 3PH attachments make it desirable to have the top link float?
When I added three (with room for a 4th) rear remotes I made sure one has a float detent for certain implements but I can't think of any reason I would want the htl to float:confused:
TIA

/ Top-Link - how to get the benefits of both DPCV and Float? #7  
I'm curious and my ignorance on the topic got the best of me...

What 3PH attachments make it desirable to have the top link float?
When I added three (with room for a 4th) rear remotes I made sure one has a float detent for certain implements but I can't think of any reason I would want the htl to float:confused:
TIA

Using a mower. You set the tail wheel and set the 3pt at the desired height. You can then mow some pretty rough up & down ground and the mower will follow the terrain. There are times when even a floating link that some mowers have is not enough. The other option to use float is the side link of a Top & Tilt setup. This is great for doing finish grading-smoothing on a road at a Y or T intersection where the camber of the road changes. The implement will just follow the grade instead of what the tractor is doing. Another place to use the float function with the side link is when you are raking an open area that is rough. All you want to do is clean it up, not level it out.

Just a few examples. ;)

/ Top-Link - how to get the benefits of both DPCV and Float? #8  
Also when hooking up a implement you can grab the top and push or pull to connect.

/ Top-Link - how to get the benefits of both DPCV and Float? #9  
Using a mower. You set the tail wheel and set the 3pt at the desired height. You can then mow some pretty rough up & down ground and the mower will follow the terrain. There are times when even a floating link that some mowers have is not enough. The other option to use float is the side link of a Top & Tilt setup. This is great for doing finish grading-smoothing on a road at a Y or T intersection where the camber of the road changes. The implement will just follow the grade instead of what the tractor is doing. Another place to use the float function with the side link is when you are raking an open area that is rough. All you want to do is clean it up, not level it out.

Just a few examples. ;)

Thanks...it makes perfect sense...since I've never pulled a mower, brush hog etc...it never dawned on me...seems the same would apply to a landscape rake with wheels attached...?

As far as the side link goes...I've said before...you were oh so right that the (hydraulic) side link is paramount when it comes to perfecting grade work... just like you've said...I am constantly adjusting the side pitch with box blade, scrape blade and the rake...I am now going to check out using the float on the HSL...may have to add some weight to the rake and bb to make them a little more spontaneous...(given the flow restrictions etc.) Thanks again:thumbsup: and as soon as I add the 4th rear remote it will definitely have a float (detent) function...!

Also when hooking up a implement you can grab the top and push or pull to connect.
Considering the CV for my HTL is within hands reach this has not been an issue for me but I see your point...

/ Top-Link - how to get the benefits of both DPCV and Float? #10  
Thanks...it makes perfect sense...since I've never pulled a mower, brush hog etc...it never dawned on me...seems the same would apply to a landscape rake with wheels attached...?

Yes, same thing applies to any implement with gauge wheels. ;)