Attaching truck sno plow to tractor FEL, hydralic connections

/ Attaching truck sno plow to tractor FEL, hydralic connections #1  

dlauffenburger

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 5425 w/542 Loader
I am mounting an old Fisher truck plow my FEL, i have the mount complete and am in the process of trying to get the hydralics to work. The plow has two single action hydralic cylinders so i ran two hoses from the tractor's rear hydralic valves to the front of the loader arms, then i installed short sections of hose to the cylinders and placed quick disconnects between the hoses. The first attempt to rotate the blade worked fine but after cycling the blade a couple of times it froze up and would not rotate either direction. When i checked the cylinder hoses both were pressurized so i couldn't get the quick disconnects apart, i bleed the pressure off by loosening the threaded connectors at the cylinders. If i leave one cylinder hose disconnected i can pressurize the other cylinder and get the blade to rotate, but if i connct the hose and try to rotate the blade back the other direction both cylinders pressurize and the blade locks up again until i bleed pressure off of one of the cylinders.

I mounted the quick disconnects with the female part on the plow and the male part on the hose from the tractor's remote valve. Is there a specific orientation for which end goes on which hose?

I am lost for a solution, as recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help.

Dave

/ Attaching truck sno plow to tractor FEL, hydralic connections #2  
When you pressure one side the other has to go to the tank or drain side to relieve the pressure as blade moves over.

what kind of tractor and valves are you using?

the valve should be
handle pulled A port pressurize B port to tank
release handle both ports blocked (if its open center flow will go to tank)
push handle B port pressurize A port to the tank/

Take some pictures and post them too they are worth 1000 words.
and eliminate 2000 questions.

tom

/ Attaching truck sno plow to tractor FEL, hydralic connections #3  
I'm glad you posted this! I am interested in using snow plow cilinders to angle my york rake.

Bill

/ Attaching truck sno plow to tractor FEL, hydralic connections
Tom,

Thanks for the reply. It is a John Deere 5425, i am not sure about the valves they are the standard remote valves on the rear of the tractor. I had one cylinder hose hooked to the Cylinder Extend port on the tractor and the other cylinder hooked to the Retract Port. These are the same ports i use to hook my discs and baler hydralic cylinders to so i know they work, the difference is they are dual action cylinders.

hydrocyl.jpg
Hydro Cylinder Connection

plow.jpg
Plow connection to loader

quickcon.jpg
Quick Disconnectors

Remotes.jpg
Hose Connection to tractor remote

Thanks again,
David

/ Attaching truck sno plow to tractor FEL, hydralic connections
I'm glad you posted this! I am interested in using snow plow cilinders to angle my york rake.

Bill

Bill,

From my current experience with single action cylinders i would use double action cylinders for your project, unless you already have the snow plow cylinders.

Dave

/ Attaching truck sno plow to tractor FEL, hydralic connections #6  
Bill,

From my current experience with single action cylinders i would use double action cylinders for your project, unless you already have the snow plow cylinders.

Dave

I already have the cylinders. A friend gave them to me years ago. I don't understand why your setup doesn't work.:confused2: I guess that's not surprising, I know little about hydraulics.:ashamed:

Best, Bill

/ Attaching truck sno plow to tractor FEL, hydralic connections #7  
As I understand the Fisher system, combined the 2 single action cylinders act like one double action.
You pressure one and the other dumps back to tank. I always think of them actually being joined as one so I'd connect just like a double action cylinder.

/ Attaching truck sno plow to tractor FEL, hydralic connections #8  
As I understand the Fisher system, combined the 2 single action cylinders act like one double action.
You pressure one and the other dumps back to tank. I always think of them actually being joined as one so I'd connect just like a double action cylinder.

It looks, to me, anyways, that the OP has done that.
I do agree with your theory, but then again, what do I know?

/ Attaching truck sno plow to tractor FEL, hydralic connections #9  
Thats how my Western snow plow works.
I hook up my 2 single acting cylinders to the rear remotes just like I would 1 double acting cylinder and my snow plow works fine.

/ Attaching truck sno plow to tractor FEL, hydralic connections #10  
Can you try the setup without the quick disconnects? Just get the correct fittings and join the hoses together. My guess is that you will find it works OK without the quick disconnects. Once you find out if I am correct you can look for the problem in the disconnects.