715 IH combine hydraulic reel drive

/ 715 IH combine hydraulic reel drive #1  

Lindy Cosgrove

Tractor
2705 MF
I have a 715 IH combine which is not equiped to handle a hydraulic reel drive pump. Any suggestions on what I need to add this? I mounted a oil reserve and a farm hand PTO pump on the LH header drive shaft and ran oil through the reel hydaulic pump. It turns for a few minutes and then stops.

Last edited:
   / 715 IH combine hydraulic reel drive #2  
If I understand you right you are trying to run a newer header with hydrostatic reel drive on a 715 so you need to add a pump to the header. What you describe should work so don't understand why it only runs for a short time and stops, but with a PTO pump and direct drive you don't get variable speed reel drive. If you look at an older Gleaner header they have a Cessna pump with electrically variable flow control chain driven from the header shaft, then flowing out to the reel drive motor and back to the tank mounted high on the header so he inlet to the pump is flooded. I was suggesting the Gleaner because of the pump flow control but the pump might be kind of pricey unless you find a junk header.

/ 715 IH combine hydraulic reel drive
If I understand you right you are trying to run a newer header with hydrostatic reel drive on a 715 so you need to add a pump to the header. What you describe should work so don't understand why it only runs for a short time and stops, but with a PTO pump and direct drive you don't get variable speed reel drive. If you look at an older Gleaner header they have a Cessna pump with electrically variable flow control chain driven from the header shaft, then flowing out to the reel drive motor and back to the tank mounted high on the header so he inlet to the pump is flooded. I was suggesting the Gleaner because of the pump flow control but the pump might be kind of pricey unless you find a junk header.

Thank You for the information. I will try this idea.

/ 715 IH combine hydraulic reel drive
Did any of the 715's come with an extra outlet or a pump to run a hydraulic reel drive or were they all mechanically driven reels? Thanks again.