Hydraulics on Farmall 656

/ Hydraulics on Farmall 656 #11  
Have you used the hydraulics for any other implements recently? Did they work OK? From what you are describing it sounds like you may have a bad quick disconnect but I have never seen one that chattered before.

Can you swap the quick disconnect ends on the hoses for known good ones?

Rick B.
The loader is dropping faster than your tractor's hydraulics can supply oil to the rod end of the lift cylinders. Adding an adjustable one-way restrictor to the lift cylinder's base end hose between the tee and QD male tip can help. Limit the return flow to the point where the cavitation is eliminated.

Almost all farm FEL's will drop with the engine off so I doubt cavition is the problem here. It would take some large cylinders to crete enoughe surface area for vacuum to slow the fall of an FEL.

/ Hydraulics on Farmall 656 #12  
Have you used the hydraulics for any other implements recently? Did they work OK? From what you are describing it sounds like you may have a bad quick disconnect but I have never seen one that chattered before.

Can you swap the quick disconnect ends on the hoses for known good ones?

Rick B.
The loader is dropping faster than your tractor's hydraulics can supply oil to the rod end of the lift cylinders. Adding an adjustable one-way restrictor to the lift cylinder's base end hose between the tee and QD male tip can help. Limit the return flow to the point where the cavitation is eliminated.

Almost all farm FEL's will drop with the engine off so I doubt cavition is the problem here. It would take some large cylinders to crete enoughe surface area for vacuum to slow the fall of an FEL.

I didn't come here to start a debate. Cavitation of loader cylinders happens all the time. That is why regenerative circuits were developed and used by some manufacturers as a crutch. May well be happening here, maybe not. Don't dismiss it from the list of possibilities.

/ Hydraulics on Farmall 656
Got her fixed! I can't believe it. We changed the 2 main ram fittings and plugged everything back in, she works good now. Never would have that could be a problem! Thanks for the info guys! Check out the pics of the ugly beast on attachments later today.
Thanks! Brett

/ Hydraulics on Farmall 656 #14  
You said you changed the cyl fittings on one of them or both cyl and only that fixed the problem. Were the old fittings restrictor fittings?

/ Hydraulics on Farmall 656 #15  
Got her fixed! I can't believe it. We changed the 2 main ram fittings and plugged everything back in, she works good now. Never would have that could be a problem! Thanks for the info guys! Check out the pics of the ugly beast on attachments later today.
Thanks! Brett

Brett,
For clarification, what do you mean by the two main fittings? The quick disconnects, fittings in the cylinders, fittings in the valves, etc..

Glad it is working since thye sure do beat using a shovel for snow piles...

Brett,
For clarification, what do you mean by the two main fittings? The quick disconnects, fittings in the cylinders, fittings in the valves, etc..

Glad it is working since thye sure do beat using a shovel for snow piles...

The quick disconnect fittings on the hoses. Not sure if that was the issue, but it works now. I told my son I had never heard of getting issues from the fittings. So?
Brett

/ Hydraulics on Farmall 656 #17  
Brett,
What happens especially if the QD's are not the same style, (I.e. one half bal style and the other half poppet style) is with flow the poppet or ball seats blocking the flow. In your case the flow from the MT loader being lowered was juts right to close the poppet or ball and then allow it to reopen causing the pulsing or chattering motion. As you saw at higher speed the motion would completely stop which it what usually happens until the load is released or flow is stopped.

Out of curiosity where both halves of the QD's the same style?

Brett,
What happens especially if the QD's are not the same style, (I.e. one half bal style and the other half poppet style) is with flow the poppet or ball seats blocking the flow. In your case the flow from the MT loader being lowered was juts right to close the poppet or ball and then allow it to reopen causing the pulsing or chattering motion. As you saw at higher speed the motion would completely stop which it what usually happens until the load is released or flow is stopped.

Out of curiosity where both halves of the QD's the same style?

Yes, they were same style. We had to reconfigure the lines today. My son told me not to use the QD's that we had trouble with, but I did anyway. Put it back together fired it up and it wouldn't work. Tore it back down, put the QD's on we used to fix it the first time, and it works fine now.
The only thing I noticed was the spring pressure on the balls were stiffer on the QD's that didn't work. The good QD's were noticeably weaker. Crazy!

/ Hydraulics on Farmall 656 #19  
Yes, they were same style. We had to reconfigure the lines today. My son told me not to use the QD's that we had trouble with, but I did anyway. Put it back together fired it up and it wouldn't work. Tore it back down, put the QD's on we used to fix it the first time, and it works fine now.
The only thing I noticed was the spring pressure on the balls were stiffer on the QD's that didn't work. The good QD's were noticeably weaker. Crazy!

The heavier spring could cause the ball or poppet in the mating connector half to depress further and allow the ball or poppet in the heavy side to seat, thus stopping fluid flow. To check this would rquire taking some measurements on the two halves to determine if the weak spring side could travel far enough to allow the strong spring side to seat. Sure sounds like that is what is happening.

On the other hand, If'en it ain't broke don't try fixin it...

/ Hydraulics on Farmall 656 #20  
Those QD's should have been the first thing to check for this reason.

If the valve lever is in neutral, the fluid is blocked from the cyl.

When you push the lever down, you move the spool enough to release the fluid from the cyl, and if the cyl does not drop, then something is blocking or restricting the flow.

With lift arms raised, and engine off, if you push the spool lever down, or go to float, the lift arms will fall. They will eventually leak down anyway.