No power steering on a Terramite

/ No power steering on a Terramite #41  
doing a tear-down you'll know if the whole pump is worth it......you wouldn't want to just change the adapter plate if there was other issues with the pump......but there again, it wouldn't hurt anything just changing the adapter plate, I guess I'm just overly cautious and suspicious of pump failures (but that's just me)

taking it apart is straight forward, a new seal kit would be handy

clean, clean and fussy clean will be a must if you put it back together (I can talk you through it)

/ No power steering on a Terramite
I would imagine the whole assembly is built from off the shelf parts most likely? Reason I ask is I would assume the trans and adapter plate could be purchased elsewhere for less money than going back to TM. I did not notice data plates on the parts, but they may have part numbers etched into the housings. Should the seal kits be easy to locate and purchase online?
I will most likely try to gauge what it will take to tear out the whole assembly as one and go from there. I'm on the fence as far as tearing into the trans or just sticking to repairing or replacing the adapter plate. wdchyd, too bad we do not live closer! I'd easily be willing to pay for your help!

/ No power steering on a Terramite #43  
the model code on that pump is stamped on the mounting flange on the edge......with that model code those parts are avail

the seal kit for that is just a main shaft seal, seal for for/rev lever, gasket and a few orings

/ No power steering on a Terramite #44  
cstamm81, you wouldn't have too much room to get things apart or back together, but I imagine you could just push the loader's gear pump out of the way with its hoses still connected to remove just the plate vs the main pump & trans too. If so, be sure your meticulous cleaning begins with the usual rinsing out or air-blasting any loose stuff that may fall into your work, and carefully capping hoses as they come off.

btw: I'm ok with two threads if it keeps us working together :) Anybody else, we're goin' on here too: Power Steering Issue Terramite T5C - Page 2

Yes the two thread scenario is a little annoying. I did not expect to get much response in the TM forum. I am leaning towards pulling everything. wdchyd may have me talked into a thorough inspection and seal replacements. I wish I had the cash to just buy an entire assembly from TM and be done with it. I suppose I would not learn anything that way so I will try to go about this in the most economical way possible.

I pulled the whole assembly about an hour ago. Quite the dirty little beast but it came out fairly easily. I need to get some pipe plugs to cap all of the ports so I can really clean the housing well. It looks like the poppet relief spring is missing? There looks to be a hollow plug knocked in and the remnants of a spring or threads in there.
wdchyd, I checked out your profile and read about your business. If I decide to, would you be interested in taking a look at the whole assembly? I would ship it up to you and pay you via paypal or whatever you prefer. Or, would you recommend me to just take it to a local hydraulic shop? I know there are a few around, but like everything else I am certain there are good ones and bad ones, I am not sure how specialized this assembly is. I may still disassemble myself, but with a 7 month old and a really busy work schedule I have little time for these things.

/ No power steering on a Terramite #47  
Cstamm

There's several hyd shops in your area.....one that comes to mind would be Turner Hydraulics in Carlisle, PA (owner Dan Turner)

You need a hyd shop that is in tune with piston pump repairs and does lapping......the better shops have pump test stands, but don't test smaller pumps anyways

I'm thinking if you clean it up and take some close-ups we should be able to talk you through.......

So certain shops COULD put my pumps on a test stand and test, but normally will not with these smaller pumps? How else would a shop know if a pump was creating the pressure and flow as per specs? As far as Turner Hydraulics, do you know if his shop is one as you described is in tune with piston pump repairs and does lapping?

What I am after is 1. for the power steering to work correctly after the adapter plate issue is corrected and 2. for the hydrostatic trans and rear gear pump to work like new. I figure if I am doing this I might as well do it right.

All fittings seem to be normal NPT, can I just pick up cheap black steel male and female pipe caps to plug all ports before I give it a thorough scrubbing?

/ No power steering on a Terramite #49  
Yes, most will only test them if there's a specific problem...Not necessary for a basic repair you need...Larger more complicated pumps require presetting pressures and null adjustments for neutral......

You need only to inspect for abnormal wear on piston shoes, swash plate, rotation group.....all can be seen fairly easy

You just want to rule out any further damage to the pump.......you don't want your pump to look like this in Post #33

( http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/hydraulics/265294-hydraulic-problems-power-trac-1850-a-4.html )

Most pump repairs are simple, clean outside, open up and place parts on clean rags/paper, identify wear/broken parts, order parts, clean/clean/clean, reassemble with clean hands/tools, prelubricate moving parts (thin clean grease at piston shoes and valve plates), prefill case drains with hyd oil, reassemble on unit.....

All this work should include a complete cleaning of the reservoir tank and filter if you haven't already done so

Another word of caution would be to raise the drive wheels off the ground when doing a start-up......this will allow the pumps to purge themselves without putting any strain and be safe if the tractor wanted to move.......you'll then be able to run the tractor through for/rev with no load to see if there's any trouble with the repaired pump

Thanks again. Well, if you are game to continue to answer a million questions I will tear into it and take close ups and we can see what lives in there. I will hopefully be able to pick up some NPT pipe plugs tomorrow at Lowe's and maybe get to clean the assembly thoroughly. This will be a learning experience...