No power steering on a Terramite

/ No power steering on a Terramite #51  
Those threads are not pipe threads........those are ORB (oring boss) or SAE Oring (same thing)

cleaning the outside is helpfull (pressure washer before you take the hoses off) but the rinse internally with solvents or kerosene is the most important

/ No power steering on a Terramite
This is what I was going by thinking the fittings were normal NPT ends. According to the TM book: All hoses are R2AT with male pipe thread ends. Then, when I look up this type of hose on McMaster Carr it says:

High-pressure hose meets SAE 100R2-AT. Use this hose only with Parker Series 30 fittings (sold individually). Vacuum rating is 28” Hg @ 72° F, except hose with 3/4” and 1” ID is rated 24” Hg @ 72° F.

Note: The integrity of SAE rating is dependent upon the use of hose, fittings, and components that meet SAE requirements and also upon using proper assembly methods. It is the responsibility of the consumer to test and monitor the hose and fittings to ensure they are appropriate for the intended applications.

Male fittings are zinc-plated steel and have NPT threads.

I'm under the impression NPT and NPTF are used interchangeably. So these fittings are DEFINITELY not normal NPT? Where can I source male and female caps to plug the lines and the ports on the pump, or is there another way to keep from getting dirt and cleaning solution inside? I want to clean the pump well before disassembly and clean out the tractor area where the pump had been leaking for years. Pump is already out so it's too late to pressure wash with it in place. Again, I really appreciate all of the help and guidance.

/ No power steering on a Terramite #53  
Sorry, I was thinking of the ports on the pump.....yes, they do use pipe thread adapters to go to the hoses many times

ok, that makes sense. I had some brass NPT plugs, threaded right on. I cleaned it up a bit but did not have time to disassemble.

well in talking with a forklift guy I deal with at work he recommended a local hydraulic shop. I took the whole assembly to them last week to have the entire thing gone over, hopefully to be made like new. I am supposedly getting the forklift companies reduced rates, so that should help. Counter guy told me they "should" be able to bench test it.
In the mean time, does anyone know where the hydraulic system strainer would most likely be located? I am assuming it is a metal mesh inside a return line? Any tips on how to clean out the hydraulic reservoir tank? I want to make sure I do everything in my power to go along with the repair and reinstallation of the pump assembly.

/ No power steering on a Terramite #56  
Couple tips:

along with clean oil, reservoir & filters......have the hyd shop show you where the case drain is on the repaired pump and fill it completely with clean fresh oil when you install it.......have the traction wheel motors off the ground to allow all air to purge out and allow the hyd system to excersise in the first few minutes of operation.....idle only during the start, rev up only after everything seems to be functioning properly.....I'd run it this way for at least 20 minutes before setting on the ground for the final breakin (easy does it for another 20 minutes on the ground)

As for cleaning the reservoir, just remove the tank and get all of the oil out and make sure there is no dirt? Or should I flush it with something? I have to find where the strainer is, new filter ready to go.
Case drain on pump, so just plug the ports, fill it up via the case drain, install pump? I'm assuming there should just be one main case drain for the entire assembly?
Thanks again for all of the help.

/ No power steering on a Terramite #58  
Yes, there are usually several ports (depending on how the pump is mounted)......one port is sufficient, it's usually the case drain hose that leads to the reservoir

if you can find the bottom of the reservoir try to get it rag clean, then kerosene works good for a final rinse if you can

the plot thickens.... I talked to the hydraulic shop today, not good news. Service guy told me one of their senior guys (15 ish years of experience) ripped everything apart and had never seen anything quite like it, service guy on phone agreed. He said very odd wear marks and pattern on the piston assembly, said it almost looked like the ends of the pistons were machined to a point? Also mentioned a large mark on the rear cover. He did not quite know what caused this, but we discussed the possibility of the external torque pump disintegrating and damaging the main pump. Sort of like what wdchyd mentioned earlier as a point to watch.
So, he is telling me major work needs to happen here. He thought him buying a refurbished pump or rebuilding the current one would cost about the same, around $1300!!. I mentioned that Terramite quoted me $1400 for the hydrostatic pump and charge pump, minus the rear gear pump. He told me to verify if that was new or refurbished, and suggested buying it without blinking if it was indeed new.
How does this all sound? Definitely bad news for me, as it looks like this could be worst case scenario.

/ No power steering on a Terramite #60  
that's too bad, but now is the time to find out the root of your troubles....more than likely the steering was just the first thing that showed it ugly head...now the next thing you need to concern yourself with is getting the wheel motors opened up and rinsed out and resealed.....

what you don't want is for the new pump to be contaminated by any foreign metal particles in the wheel motors rendering any warranty on your new pump void.......these hydrostats share the same oil in a continuous loop.......I wouldn't be too concerned with the aux gear pump cuz that oil will be returned back to tank filtered after the valves