No power steering on a Terramite

/ No power steering on a Terramite #1  

cstamm81

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740, Mahindra 3016HST, Kubota F2880
I am digging into an issue with a new to me Terramite T5C. It has power steering via a 2 way hydraulic cylinder. The steering column goes directly into a steering box, with 4 hydraulic lines coming off of it. 2 go to the steering cylinder, 2 go to the hydraulic pump.
It feels like I have no power steering. I disconnected the cylinder from the front end, so that I could see if the cylinder would cycle. Well it does cycle in and out, but it cycles with a lot of effort turning the wheel, same as when it was connected. So, I must have some hydraulic fluid getting to each side of the cylinder or it would not cycle at all. Do cylinders themselves sometimes get very tight? It seems like there is not enough flow, but I am not sure how to check that. And I would also think I would have full flow in one direction if it was a partially blocked or kinked line.
I do not understand how the input from the steering wheel signals a valve to send fluid to the one side of the cylinder. Anyone have any suggestions?

/ No power steering on a Terramite #2  
if the steering wheel turns and turns with no pressure build up at the end of stroke, then the seals in the cyl may be worn and by-passing (time to repack)

if the steering seems hard to steer then the hyd pump pressure/flow may be low (test with hyd guage)

if you have the cyl off make sure the hyd rod is not bent (turn it by hand)

if all these check out then the steering valve may be worn or broken internally (usually time for a new steering valve)

/ No power steering on a Terramite #3  
There could be something amiss in the steering box. Depending on year/model T5C you may have the older steering setup that even TerraQuip can't do everything for (offset column), tho' they will do their best. I'd shut 'er down, disconnect one line from the cylinder, and get something to catch the spills. After working some oil & bubbles out it should move freely by hand tho' with some stiffness. Too easy can mean piston/seal failure. It may need to be rebuilt, and with most places there'd be a minimum $$ to have it looked at. If it really seems ok the phone will get you where the internet won't.

Have your Ser # handy if you T-M call for help. (They've been awesome every time I did!) If you have a center column, all the better for you. Good luck, & let us know ....

/ No power steering on a Terramite
on the hyd gauge idea, is the gauge installed in line between the line and cylinder? Or does it dead head the line and take the reading that way?

I actually now have two T5C's, one with a hoe and this one with a factory 3 point hitch. This machine is early 2000's and it has the steering wheel offset, as does my other one. If I turn the wheel to the right with any kind of speed with the machine off it makes a clicking noise from the steering box I believe. What do you mean by "Terraquip can't even do anything for the offset columns"?

I will try out the idea of cycling the cylinder by hand with a line off. I'm fine with having to replace parts, just want to make sure I'm replacing the right ones!

/ No power steering on a Terramite #6  
cstamm81 ,

You would put the gage after the steering pump or the source for the steering fluid. Then anything that causes pressure will be reflected on the gage.

is the gauge tee'ed in? As in a tee fitting on the source line for the steering cylinder? Also, what would a typical range of pressure be? The machine develops 2400 PSI and 7 GPM, but I am assuming that full flow goes to the backhoe and there would be less pressure at the power steering circuit...

/ No power steering on a Terramite #8  
Most steering circuit pressures are around 1000 to 1500 psi.

If you tee it into the input hose for the steering valve , it will indicate what pressure the cyl is developing.

That's great thanks. I will pick up a 1/4" NPT tee and a hydraulic gauge, and see where I am at. I'm hoping it's the cylinder (never knew one to get tight like this, just leak) or a blocked / kinked hose. It feeds from the hydrostatic pump, and if the issue is in there I am in trouble.

/ No power steering on a Terramite #10  
cstamm81, that was me saying "... can't do everything for". Here's what I was told a few yrs ago: The 'obsolete' steering box hasn't been made or supported for years. There was no source of replacements or parts available even to them at the time. They were able to supply a face (thrust) seal to resolve a leak. I was cautioned by the svc mgr against disassembling the old-style (offset) steering box to replace the seal without experience or somehow-unavailable technical info/manual as being a nightmare of parts flying. I spoke to another guy who insisted that I ring him back when I was ready to be guided step by step and safely do the least necessary to change the seal. btw: For this I spoke well of TerraQuip's service a time or two ...

The seal is an odd size not easily found at the supply houses in the size required (~ a US Quarter), tho' I'll continue to search for another source if wear might shorten its life. Here's the bit that'll get a few nod's of acknowledgement. The parts was $62, shipped in a 9x12 bubble envelope, and for another $14 Fed-Ex dropped that into the US mail for them. (well-deserved F-E bashing forgiven, as always)

I was assured that 'upgrading' to the newer style column wasn't possible. (??) I doubt I'd want to pay their rates for one for sure, but at this point I'm beginning to wonder if I'm considered to have two left feet & ten thumbs, and getting over-cautioned advice. T-Ms are enough like giant lawn tractors that there's room to tinker under the dash. After having R&R'd the guts & gears of a DeWalt 18v hammer drill not much would scare me. I might be in that box with the new seal already, but .. (don't laugh, ok?...) I'm still pickling the steering wheel's hub in Kroil to get the !%$@ thing off the shaft in one piece without setting up an electrolysis rig to de-rust it. :-/

Mebbe I went to far too soon with the steering drama, but believe me .. if it's all that much, I'd love to be the guy that figures out & shares for those of us with T5Cs' older steering boxes.