using a pto pump to power a post driver instead of rear hydraulics

/ using a pto pump to power a post driver instead of rear hydraulics #1  

forgottenben

I own a New Holland TC35d with a FEL but no rear hydraulics. It's at the end of it's life and I really don't feel like putting money into it to install rear hydraulics. I own a PTO hydraulic pump from Tractor supply and was wondering if I could use it to power the post post driver. The driver is a shaver pt8 model. I plan on upgrading tractors soon so I am looking for more of a temporary fix. Thanks
Ben

/ using a pto pump to power a post driver instead of rear hydraulics #2  
I'd say powering the driver is not the problem, but rather on the drive stroke, having a place for the oil to dump in a hurry. Not sure what you have in mind for a reservoir, but if a smaller one, it would need to be vented well.

/ using a pto pump to power a post driver instead of rear hydraulics #3  
I agree the return line would be the only thing I'd be concerned about.

Didn't some of those drivers used to come with a self contained PTO pump option? It would be worth a look to see how they did things.

/ using a pto pump to power a post driver instead of rear hydraulics
what kind of reservoir? Do I need to fabricate something?

/ using a pto pump to power a post driver instead of rear hydraulics #5  
You have to give the oil a place to go. On your tractor the oil returns to the transmission housing, on a PTO pump you need a tank.

/ using a pto pump to power a post driver instead of rear hydraulics #6  
There is not very much fluid coming out of that cyl, and a 3/4 or 1 in hose should be sufficient between the driver and the tank.

Here are some tanks.

Surplus Center

/ using a pto pump to power a post driver instead of rear hydraulics #7  
Much cheaper & easier to power the driver from the FEL valve and return the oil to the transmission fill port. Hundreds cheaper than a tank, lines, filter and your "free" pump.

/ using a pto pump to power a post driver instead of rear hydraulics #8  
This is what you need to power the Shaver.

Hydraulic Requirements 3-4 GPM/1,500 PSI

You have the GPM, just add a relief valve.

If there is a valve on your Shaver, then adjust it to 1500 psi. and send the 3/4 in return directly to tank.

Since you have a FEL, then you may have a PB outlet. Just run the PB to the back and plug the Shaver into the PB QD.

Hose G20 , the return hose on the Shaver post pounder is only 3/4 in.

http://www.shavermfg.com/media/uploads/HD8-Operator-Manual.pdf

Last edited:
   / using a pto pump to power a post driver instead of rear hydraulics #9  
   / using a pto pump to power a post driver instead of rear hydraulics #10  
Before you go with a pto pump read Mounted Madness's thread about his experience and cost of mounting a post driver to his Kubota BX24.

I just read that post and the way he went about it makes no since what so ever.

I ended up at a local hydraulic shop and 3 days later, and $1600 lighter.... The hydraulic shop added a hydraulic motor powered by my BX24, that runs a hydraulic pump that powers the post driver...

WOW! :confused: