NPT tricks for aligning?

/ NPT tricks for aligning? #1  

puckgrinder85

Platinum Member
Tractor
'13 Yanmar Lx4100
Does anyone have any tricks for lining up NPT fittings (like 90*) fittings where i need them to be, tight and not leaking?

/ NPT tricks for aligning? #2  
It helps a lot to have some sort of swivel fitting in a line somewhere to make alignment easier. Then things like this become a non-issue. Otherwise I have found that steel hydraulic fittings can handle that extra half turn of over-tightening better than you might expect. There is always a limit, of course, but you should be talking about no more than 3/4 of a turn, in any case. Others with more experience will probably have other ideas...

/ NPT tricks for aligning? #3  
I always count how many times I go around with the teflon tape. If I need more or less turns to line up, I'll re-do the tape with a bit more or less. Hasn't failed me so far.

/ NPT tricks for aligning? #4  
I notice lots of NPT fittings have epoxy on threads.
For sure that would seal well and once set not leak as well as hold pressure.
Future release would simply want heat to break the bond.

/ NPT tricks for aligning? #5  
Another reason I do not like NPT fittings.
I would (if you have room) use an adapter fitting. Male NPT to Female SAE (ORB) then use an SAE (ORB) 90 that has a nut you tighten to hold desired position.

/ NPT tricks for aligning? #6  
IIRC orb will fit npt thread and work as long as the mating surface is flat and there is a bevel already machined into the threads.

/ NPT tricks for aligning? #7  
put a swivel in the hole, and then put the elbow in the swivel.

/ NPT tricks for aligning? #8  
not sure if this is relevant to what you are asking, but don't ever back off once you have tightened. I will usually tighten the fitting close to where it needs to be, but always on the "might need a little more" side, then once the other pieces are assembled tighten just that little bit more to get it where you need it. If you ever have to back off because you went to far (and didn't realize it until some of the next pieces were together) then you will have to remove it and re-tape or re-dope it.

/ NPT tricks for aligning?
put a swivel in the hole, and then put the elbow in the swivel.

can you link me to what you speak of, I'm not following. I need to 90* out of a valve, I have room to go outwards from the valve but no much room anywhere else. Sounds like this swivel may help but I've never seen on. I tried getting ORB ports on the valve but it was a special order item and I had to order 100 of them. :D

/ NPT tricks for aligning? #10  
you can get a male to female pipe swivel. you screw the male into the valve with dope and get it tight. then you take a male to female hyd elbow.. put the male intot he swivel in desired orientation, and then tighten. no dope needed.. the seal is on a bevel kinda like a jic. from there, it's a normal pipe fitting.. male or female onthe other side of the elbow.. your choice..