JD 830 3Cyl. Power Steering Quits when u clutch the PTO Supply Bypass Valve?????????

/ JD 830 3Cyl. Power Steering Quits when u clutch the PTO Supply Bypass Valve????????? #1  

RottenGround

Bronze Member
Tractor
1974 JD 830, 1946 JD Model A
JD 830 3Cyl. Power Steering Quits when u clutch the PTO Supply Bypass Valve?????????

/ JD 830 3Cyl. Power Steering Quits when u clutch the PTO Supply Bypass Valve????????? #2  
Do you have the Independent PTO? PTO engage lever between the shift levers?
If so, you are saying you lose Power Steering when you disenage the PTO? Sounds like you have a broken internal line to the PTO brake that is takeing all your hydraulic flow. Leaking internally. Requires splitting tractor to repair.

My JD 2030 broke the PTO engage line to the PTO clutch pack. I lost all hydraulics with PTO engaged, normal when disengaged.

/ JD 830 3Cyl. Power Steering Quits when u clutch the PTO Supply Bypass Valve?????????
there is a tranny oil pump that supplies oil to front mounted ps/hyd pump that pump runs off of the pto shaft so there for when clutch the independent pto it stops pumping and they say the main pump pulls oil from sump due to supply bypass valve but im not sure

/ JD 830 3Cyl. Power Steering Quits when u clutch the PTO Supply Bypass Valve????????? #4  
I think there is a reservoir above the front pump that supplies oil when the trans pump stops for a very short period of time. I don't think the main pump can draw from the sump.

/ JD 830 3Cyl. Power Steering Quits when u clutch the PTO Supply Bypass Valve?????????
im not sure but the lines come straight from the ps sector to pump and the hydraulic lines go from the pump to the sump

I think the supply bypass valve is located inline right after the outlet side of the the tranny oil pump in the sump

/ JD 830 3Cyl. Power Steering Quits when u clutch the PTO Supply Bypass Valve????????? #7  
im not sure but the lines come straight from the ps sector to pump and the hydraulic lines go from the pump to the sump

Main pump feeds PS first.
The line you see going from the main pump to the sump actually connects to the output line internally from the trans pump.

/ JD 830 3Cyl. Power Steering Quits when u clutch the PTO Supply Bypass Valve????????? #8  
I think the supply bypass valve is located inline right after the outlet side of the the tranny oil pump in the sump

You may be refering to the Pressure Control Valve. It is mounted on the pressure line from the main pump after the PS is fed. It reduces downstream pressure to rockshaft (3pt hitch arms) and SCVs if the demand for pressure is greater than the main pump can provide so the PS has priority.

yes i think it is called supply bypass valve opens due to negative pressure i think it is actually the outlet line off of the tranny pump

/ JD 830 3Cyl. Power Steering Quits when u clutch the PTO Supply Bypass Valve????????? #10  
The Pressure Control Valve is off the Main Pump. You might be thinking of the Surge Relief Valve, it's off the trans pump.