580c dipper/boom controls

/ 580c dipper/boom controls #1  

utahjd1

Tractor
Case 580c
I just bought a 580c case backhoe and I was using it to demo a boat on my property. when I was cleaning up I noticed that when I used the dipper and boom at the same time both would stop working. I know I'm a little low on hydraulic fluid. But I didn't think that would cause my boom and dipper not to work together.

/ 580c dipper/boom controls #2  
At what RPM..?? It at near an idle, you'll have to bump it up some. My 480C works best at about 1200 - 1500+ RPM's for multi-functions.

/ 580c dipper/boom controls #3  
A gear pump is going to pump something if there is fluid at the suction inlet.

Even at idle, you should have some movement of the cyl.

Your speed of operation is determined by the GPM's flowing through the BH.

Is your pump matched up to the capabilities of the BH.

Last edited:
   / 580c dipper/boom controls #4  
Even when new, that era Case hoe's weren't known for their hydraulics. We had 6 new ones across the district, and 2 Ford 550's. The Ford's would out perform them hands down...

They will move, but slow. And given the amount of wear over the years makes it worse. Of course, partially plugged filter screens, and cold oil don't help.

/ 580c dipper/boom controls
My tack dosn't work but if I had to guess I run it around 1,500 rpm.

I'm planning on doing a full fluid/filter change when it starts to warm up.

/ 580c dipper/boom controls #7  
I had a relief valve sticking open on an E , same symptoms .

How do I check the relief valve?

/ 580c dipper/boom controls #9  
Use a 3000 psi hyd gage and plug it into a QD and activate the lever to provide fluid.

If the relief is good, you will see the relief pressure on the gage and hear the relief valve releasing fluid.

If you get no or very little pressure by moving the valve levers, then the fluid is going somewhere.