Hydraulic can you have a double acting ram on a sungle acting system on a tractor

/ Hydraulic can you have a double acting ram on a sungle acting system on a tractor #1  

mikee280

Tractor
massey ferguson 20B industrail
Hi I have Massey Ferguson 20B industrail tractor that operates on a single hydraulic system I also have a mcconnel ditch digger and a transport box which are both operated by a double acting system Can any one help with the advise regarding if the tractor can it operate both sysems and if it needs any modifications

/ Hydraulic can you have a double acting ram on a sungle acting system on a tractor #2  
Mikee280:

I have personal experience with several MF tractors of that style, though not the 20B itself. The ones I am familiar with all obtained remote hydraulics by replacing a roughly 6" x 6" cast iron plate bolted to the top of the transmission that covered hydraulic ports with a new plate that incorporated one double acting directional control valve and one selector valve to choose between TPH and the new remote directional valve that was incorporated in the plate. It was not very convenient, but it worked; there were two levers on the new valve plate: one lever was a selector control and its position determined whether the hydraulic flow from the pump was directed to the three point hitch or to the remote valve; the other lever controlled the remote valve itself built into the plate.

If, for example you had an implement on the three point hitch, to raise and lower the implement the selector lever on the new valve plate must be shifted to the TPH position. If you then wanted to operate say a hydraulic cylinder on the implement with the remote valve you had to shift the selector lever to the "remote valve" position and then use the remote valve lever (also on on the new plate).

When you shifted the selector valve from "TPH" to "remote", the implement on the TPH would not drop unless the TPH piston seals were leaking, but you could not raise the implement unless you shifted the selector valve from "remote" to "TPH" (you could lower the implement without having the TPH in the pump circuit since lowering does not require hydraulic pressure).

I doubt if the factory plate/valve is available, but there is an aftermarket kit at the site below.

MFS144 - SINGLE HYDRAULIC REMOTE VALVE

Good luck and keep us posted.

/ Hydraulic can you have a double acting ram on a sungle acting system on a tractor #3  
Mikee280:

If I am lucky there will be an attached photo of a MF 65 being repaired that has the remove valve system; it is the grey thing just behind the shift levers. Mf65Restoration089.jpg

/ Hydraulic can you have a double acting ram on a sungle acting system on a tractor #4  
Apparently you have a tractor with a hyd pump, and a one way valve. You can send fluid to the cyl, but the weight of the implement will cause it to retract.

The 3pt is essentially a one way valve, as there is no down force.

They might even have a DA kit for your tractor.

http://www.waltstractors.com/acatalog/Remote_Hydraulic_Valve.html

If your tractor is an open center hyd system, all valves are in series, and you can probably add the necessary valves to operate SA and DA cyl.

If your tractor pump is not up to the task, then you can add a PTO pump and valves to operate whatever you want.

Last edited: