Vermeer backhoe attachment on CASE 1840 skidsteer

/ Vermeer backhoe attachment on CASE 1840 skidsteer #1  

STROIL

Tractor
Ford 8n, case 1840 skidsteer, brushcat, vermeer backhoe attchment, 72" smooth bucket, 60" toothed bucket, KK 5 foot BB
I have a hydraulics question I hope you guys can help with. I bought an old Vermeer backhoe attachment (old meaning I can't even trace any info about it from Vermeer) that fits my CASE 1840 skidsteer. The factory specified hydraulic fluid for the CASE skidsteer is regular 10w40 motor oil and that's what I'm running. It has normal (NOT high flow) front auxilary hydraulics (15.3 GPM flow). My question is this: is 10w40 motor oil the kind of hydraulic fluid that this old Vermeer backhoe would have been designed for originally?? Or, more specifically, is the 10w40 correct for the valves in the controllers of the backhoe?? The backhoe works, but the controls are really "jerky". A tiny movement of the control levers results in slow smooth movement of the cylinders, but anything more than a tiny movement of the levers results in pretty violent jerky movements -- much faster movements than you would want for normal operation/use. So, is the 10w40 wrong? Are the control valves bad? Can the control valves be adjusted? (I'm a hydraulics newbie...like you couldn't tell that already...)

Thanks for any info you hydraulic veterans can provide!

/ Vermeer backhoe attachment on CASE 1840 skidsteer #2  
My Case 1840 requires 10w30 motor oil with a modifier addative. Do you use the Case addative? Are the pins and bushings worn out on the backhoe? this will amplify the problem. Maybe you could install a flow reducer to slow it down?

Dave

/ Vermeer backhoe attachment on CASE 1840 skidsteer
Dave, yes, it is 10w30 (not 10w40). My mistake. I just remembered wrong when I typed the original post. Same questions remain, though...

A "flow reducer" sounds like a good idea, if it doesn't result in less overall hydraulic power in the backhoe. Also, yes, the pins and bushings are worn as you would expect with such an "experienced" unit, but that's not what I'm worried about in its "jerkiness". I'm saying the overall movement of the unit is just to violent/fast.

Where can I buy a flow reducer, where/how does it go in the system, and how do I know how much to reduce the flow?

/ Vermeer backhoe attachment on CASE 1840 skidsteer #4  
Try running all the cyls in and out for awhile to get all the air out. That could be it.

/ Vermeer backhoe attachment on CASE 1840 skidsteer #5  
Drop the engine RPMs down some and a lot of that jerkyness will go away. The valves should be fine with motor oil.

Aaron Z

/ Vermeer backhoe attachment on CASE 1840 skidsteer #6  
   / Vermeer backhoe attachment on CASE 1840 skidsteer
Thanks for the tip about the needle valve and the link, JJ. Just one more question... (remember, I'm a hydraulic newbie)... how do I know which line is the outflow and which is the return line?

/ Vermeer backhoe attachment on CASE 1840 skidsteer #8  
There may be switch for the Aux valve FWD/REV

Quick way is to plug in a 3000 psi hyd gage and see if there is pressure.

FWD flow is usually the pressure out on the male QD fitting.

If the mower or auger is turning correctly, then the way you have it connected is correct.

Last edited: