Tractor
    Ford 8n, case 1840 skidsteer, brushcat, vermeer backhoe attchment, 72" smooth bucket, 60" toothed bucket, KK 5 foot BB

Default Vermeer backhoe attachment on CASE 1840 skidsteer

I have a hydraulics question I hope you guys can help with. I bought an old Vermeer backhoe attachment (old meaning I can't even trace any info about it from Vermeer) that fits my CASE 1840 skidsteer. The factory specified hydraulic fluid for the CASE skidsteer is regular 10w40 motor oil and that's what I'm running. It has normal (NOT high flow) front auxilary hydraulics (15.3 GPM flow). My question is this: is 10w40 motor oil the kind of hydraulic fluid that this old Vermeer backhoe would have been designed for originally?? Or, more specifically, is the 10w40 correct for the valves in the controllers of the backhoe?? The backhoe works, but the controls are really "jerky". A tiny movement of the control levers results in slow smooth movement of the cylinders, but anything more than a tiny movement of the levers results in pretty violent jerky movements -- much faster movements than you would want for normal operation/use. So, is the 10w40 wrong? Are the control valves bad? Can the control valves be adjusted? (I'm a hydraulics newbie...like you couldn't tell that already...)

Thanks for any info you hydraulic veterans can provide!

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Oliver 1855, Case 1840, Cub 1550

Default Re: Vermeer backhoe attachment on CASE 1840 skidsteer

My Case 1840 requires 10w30 motor oil with a modifier addative. Do you use the Case addative? Are the pins and bushings worn out on the backhoe? this will amplify the problem. Maybe you could install a flow reducer to slow it down?

Dave

Tractor
    Ford 8n, case 1840 skidsteer, brushcat, vermeer backhoe attchment, 72" smooth bucket, 60" toothed bucket, KK 5 foot BB

Dave, yes, it is 10w30 (not 10w40). My mistake. I just remembered wrong when I typed the original post. Same questions remain, though...

A "flow reducer" sounds like a good idea, if it doesn't result in less overall hydraulic power in the backhoe. Also, yes, the pins and bushings are worn as you would expect with such an "experienced" unit, but that's not what I'm worried about in its "jerkiness". I'm saying the overall movement of the unit is just to violent/fast.

Where can I buy a flow reducer, where/how does it go in the system, and how do I know how much to reduce the flow?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4240, B7800 & BX2660

Try running all the cyls in and out for awhile to get all the air out. That could be it.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Drop the engine RPMs down some and a lot of that jerkyness will go away. The valves should be fine with motor oil.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

My Case BH uses restrictors in some of the circuits.

Restrictors can reduce the flow to a particular circuit, or you can reduce the skid steer rpm, or add a needle valve in the flow out of the Case 1840.

15 GPM valve , 0 to 15 GPM

Surplus Center - 1/2 NPT 15 GPM PRINCE WFC-800 IN-LINE FLOW CONTROL
    J.J.

When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

Git er done.

Tractor

Thanks for the tip about the needle valve and the link, JJ. Just one more question... (remember, I'm a hydraulic newbie)... how do I know which line is the outflow and which is the return line?

Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

There may be switch for the Aux valve FWD/REV

Quick way is to plug in a 3000 psi hyd gage and see if there is pressure.

FWD flow is usually the pressure out on the male QD fitting.

If the mower or auger is turning correctly, then the way you have it connected is correct.
    Last edited by J_J; 02-13-2013 at 07:31 AM.
    J.J.

When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

Git er done.