Hydro problem with homemade log splitter

/ Hydro problem with homemade log splitter #1  

350jeepcj5

Tractor
Mix and Match
So I bought this homemade log splitter this yer and it has served me well for the most part. I have probably split about 5 cords of wood with it. When it is cold it works ok, as soon as it warms up, everything works but it s
Won't split any wood, just goes to the price of wood then stops. I have attached a link for a video that I took I it to show you guys what it is doing. I think it might be in the cylinder but I am not sure. I am a mechanic by trade but don't have a lot of experience with hydraulics.

Link to video
Wood splitter issue - YouTube

Thanks in advance!
Don

/ Hydro problem with homemade log splitter #2  
Have you changed the filter and checked the oil to see if that is any good? When it is cold does it punch through pieces of the size used on the video? That shouldn't have even slowed it down hardly.

/ Hydro problem with homemade log splitter
Oil looks like it has some metal in it, I have not changed the filter. When it is cold, it seems to work fine, but not as good as the day I got it...

/ Hydro problem with homemade log splitter #4  
How new or old were the parts that went into building the log splitter.

If all the parts were new, then there is probably a defect in some of the parts.

If it was built out of old parts, then things might be well beyond worn.

Have you checked out the hyd pressure with a 3000 psi hyd gage?

If the pump is good, and the valve is good, then the fluid is going to the cyl, and should extend or retract.

If cyl does not extend, the fluid is bypassing around the seals or through the piston rod hole. The nut may have come off.

Put a gage in the log splitter and check some pressures, and let us know what you read on the gage in various modes.

For instance, extend the cyl and hold the lever. The relief should activate, and the motor bog down.

Is the pump actually pumping or working at the rated pressure and producing the GPM?

Is the filter on the suction or the return side?

Maybe your relief is stuck open.

Does the cyl retract automatically and return to neutral.

What color is the fluid, and is there air bubbles in the fluid?

How new or old were the parts that went into building the log splitter.

If all the parts were new, then there is probably a defect in some of the parts.

If it was built out of old parts, then things might be well beyond worn.

Have you checked out the hyd pressure with a 3000 psi hyd gage?

If the pump is good, and the valve is good, then the fluid is going to the cyl, and should extend or retract.

If cyl does not extend, the fluid is bypassing around the seals or through the piston rod hole. The nut may have come off.

Put a gage in the log splitter and check some pressures, and let us know what you read on the gage in various modes.

For instance, extend the cyl and hold the lever. The relief should activate, and the motor bog down.

Is the pump actually pumping or working at the rated pressure and producing the GPM?

Is the filter on the suction or the return side?

Maybe your relief is stuck open.

Does the cyl retract automatically and return to neutral.

What color is the fluid, and is there air bubbles in the fluid?

The filter is on the return side, the fluid looks clean but shiny, no aeration in the fluid. The parts were all used I'm assuming. I bought it pre built, the pump looks like your typical 2 stage pump, the valve is from a loader or something, and I'm not sure what the cylinder is from. The cylinder extends and retracts with no load. I will have to get a pressure gauge, where is the best place to place the gauge in the system?

/ Hydro problem with homemade log splitter #6  
Install the gage in a tee in the IN port of the log splitter.

If the pump is a 2 stage log splitter, the pump may be stuck in the low pressure mode which is about 650 psi.

You can also determine if it is stuck in the low pressure mode by removing a work port hose and place the hose in a bucket and see if it is pumping high GPM's.

Install the gage in a tee in the IN port of the log splitter.

If the pump is a 2 stage log splitter, the pump may be stuck in the low pressure mode which is about 650 psi.

You can also determine if it is stuck in the low pressure mode by removing a work port hose and place the hose in a bucket and see if it is pumping high GPM's.

I thought maybe it was stuck in low pressure, I will get a gauge and find out what it's doing.

/ Hydro problem with homemade log splitter #8  
How many GPM is the pump supposed to pump.

What is the model number and brand name?

/ Hydro problem with homemade log splitter #9  
A pic of the pump and control valve may help.